The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media
We’ve all seen them in the news stories about ME/CFS: the guy in a suit at the office, yawning; the beautiful woman sitting at her desk with her immaculate make-up and elegantly coiffed hair, hand to her head and looking slightly pained.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Scientists discover how to 'switch off' autoimmune diseases

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by melihtas, Sep 3, 2014.

1. melihtas

melihtas Senior Member

Istanbul Turkey
    Link to full text of the study: Sequential transcriptional changes dictate safe and effective antigen-specific immunotherapy

Link to MedicalXpress Article about the study: Scientists discover how to 'switch off' autoimmune diseases

SickOfSickness, Arise, beaker and 9 others like this.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    aimossy likes this.
  3. RL_sparky

RL_sparky Senior Member

California
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...switched-off-by-retraining-immune-system.html

“In allergies the immune system mounts a response to something like pollen or nuts because it wrongly believes they will harm the body.

“But in autoimmune diseases the immune systems sees little protein fragments in your own tissue as foreign invaders and starts attacking them.

“What we have found is that by synthesising those proteins in a soluble form we can desensitise the immune system by giving an escalating dose.”

The team hope that the breakthrough could lead to the development of immunotherapies for individual conditions, based on the protein or antigen that the body is responding too.

xchocoholic, Arise, Simon and 5 others like this.
  4. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    This is a new application of an old principle. Yet I would caution its unclear that this will work with autoinflammatory states.

6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    JE has previously commented that these "induced" autoimmune conditions in animal models are not necessarily useful for comparison with natural autoimmune disorders in Humans, so I'm guessing he will consider it mostly speculation at this point.

This is an interesting idea, but I personally have many reservations about whether it could be useful in a natural autoimmune illness - it first needs to be demonstrated in a real autoimmune illness - merely measuring T-Cell responses is interesting, but not proof that the illness has been suppressed. Besides that, it probably requires very tight control and monitoring of dosages due to the kinetics involved for it to be safe in Humans. Which in turn needs radical new drug delivery methods.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    Sasha likes this.
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Artificial models often mislead. Things work nice in the lab, but fail to work on people. The same goes for animal models. None of these do away with the need for clinical trials.

MeSci likes this.
  8. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    I have merged them. :)

MeSci, Sea and alex3619 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.