• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Scientists and patient organisations call for retraction of PACE recovery paper - open letter

Dolphin

I wonder was Tony Pinching asked? He was a reasonable doctor when he worked from what I could see. However I don't recall him criticising the graded activity/exercise model and the psychobabble and psychobabblers directly even though he seemed to disagree with it/them. It was then frustrating when he complained about patients challenging experts when he wasn't willing to do it himself. He is retired now but I wonder does he have the balls, for want of a better word, to do it.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I don't think this is enough to get PACE retracted, its only a step and more will need to be taken. Whether thats more pressure, more exposure/shaming, more science (OMF discovers pathway and proves why GET won't work and use that as a club) or the legal system.
All that said once its retracted the authors of the study should be required to repay the squandered money by garnishing all future wages and the money should be directed to the best research available (OMF)

Yogi

Excuses, excuses, excuses from InActionforME

Blame others for not informing them. 5 days to get a board decision in this day in age of technology.

Doesn't matter - more and more people now know this is not a ME charity but a lobby group for insurance/psychiatrist interests.

• Letter to Psychological Medicine re the PACE trial
March 15, 2017

This week an open letter, signed by a number of clinical and research professionals, and charity representatives, has been sent to the journal, Psychological Medicine. It asks the journal’s editors to retract a 2013 paper, Recovery from CFS after treatments given in the PACE trial.

Since its publication, Action for M.E. has been repeatedly asked to sign this letter, and we are pleased to make our position clear.

Any decision to support this letter would need to be taken by our Board of Trustees, and no approach was made to us in advance of the letter being published. Given that the letter has been already sent, and that getting our Board members together would take at least five working days, Action for M.E. is not in a position to sign at this point in time.

On our website, we acknowledge that scientific debate continues around the results of the PACE trial, with a number of researchers in the M.E. field and beyond questioning its findings. We also highlight that, following the release of anonymised data from the PACE trial, a December 2016 paper published in the peer-reviewed journal Fatigue: Biomedicine, Health and Behavior concluded that "the claim that patients can recover as a result of CBT and GET is not justified by the data."

https://www.actionforme.org.uk/news/letter-to-psychological-medicine-re-the-pace-trial/

Yogi

For those wondering why UK drs are not signing, just think about what happened to Dr Speight last year. And what happened to Dr Kerr a few years ago.

This time it is completely different. The PACE fraudsters are on the backfoot now. As individual doctors they were intimated by the Wessely school and taken down one by one in the past.

More and more are speaking out and there is strength in numbers and the signatories are on the side of truth and strength.

If you know any scientists and doctors that would sign let them know.

Yogi

Defamation laws in the UK are very draconian. A researcher suggesting that a colleague has failed in a way which makes him unsuitable for his job could easily end up in court, with the presumption that the researcher is guilty of defamation.

At the very least, the critical researcher would have to prove that their colleague did what he was accused of, and that will take time and money just to show up in court. At worst, the researcher will be found guilty of defamation and have to pay the damages determined by the court.

This is why the real critiques are appearing on an American website. The US passed a law specifically to protect Americans from being punished by British defamation laws after a rather nasty case, though it applies to defamation judgements from any foreign court.

It is the trial that is being criticised. Again there is strength in numbers and more UK doctors now need to stand up for patients, stop talking and take action and stop being so afraid.

BurnA

Any decision to support this letter would need to be taken by our Board of Trustees, and no approach was made to us in advance of the letter being published. Given that the letter has been already sent, and that getting our Board members together would take at least five working days, Action for M.E. is not in a position to sign at this point in time.

You would wonder why it couldn't be emailed amongst their Board of trustees seeking approval, it's not like wet signature is going to be required.

Pathetic response. Basically:

It's too much effort to get our board of trustees to do something of value for patients, stop annoying us.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
The lack of legal obligation around clinical trials in general is amazing, considering that they deal with human lives and health. They're not even legally obliged to publish at all
I didn't organise the 1st round of signatories. But I happened to mention I could pass on names to the people involved when I highlighted the initial list. I then decided to highlight the request in a few more places.

That's a good idea. Do you think it would be good to start a fresh thread so that it gets attention?

Valentijn

It is the trial that is being criticised. Again there is strength in numbers and more UK doctors now need to stand up for patients, stop talking and take action and stop being so afraid.
The trial didn't write itself. It didn't create its methodology, or post-hoc changes to recovery criteria. It didn't spin itself in patient material or its abstract or in the media. Criticizing the PACE trial inherently involves criticizing the principal investigators who made all of those mistakes, and it's understandable that academics in the UK aren't willing to risk their financial security or their careers to get involved.

user9876

You would wonder why it couldn't be emailed amongst their Board of trustees seeking approval, it's not like wet signature is going to be required.

Pathetic response. Basically:

It's too much effort to get our board of trustees to do something of value for patients, stop annoying us.

Or perhaps it is saying that they are not sure if the board of trustees would approve and so are trying to avoid the issue. They have been very slow to criticize even the most obvious failures in PACE in the past. Of course when they merge with AYME and put someone from there on the board of trustees they are even less likely to get such things through.

Solstice

Even if it doesn't immediately lead to a retraction I guess it's great for advocacy to have a letter signed by so many scientists and patient organizations to wave around in people's faces. Many thanks from me aswell to everyone involved.

Hajnalka

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:@Robert 1973, perfect! Did you create it? Is the original from Monty Python and the Holy Grail? Sorry, guess this question reveals a shocking lack of knowledge for people from the UK.

Edit: Googled "Tis but a scratch", that answered my second question. :)

Last edited:
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:@Robert 1973, perfect! Did you create it? Is the original from Monty Python and Holy Grail? Sorry, guess this question reveals a shocking lack of knowledge for people from the UK.

Edit: Googled "Tis but a scratch", that answered my second question. :)

Yes, I took screenshots from YouTube. Pleased you like it. You should watch the whole film if you've not seen it.

Hajnalka

Haha, great idea!! Watched the film a long time ago and liked it but can't remember much - should definitely watch it again and will think about our win over PACE when I hear "Tis but a scratch". :)

(Edited: Personal details)

Last edited: