Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Scientists and patient organisations call for retraction of PACE recovery paper - open letter

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by user9876, Mar 13, 2017.

1. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Wow - I count over 100 signatories! They're mostly scientists (some very heavy-duty names on there, and a shedload of professors) but there are also a ton of patient organisations. Loads of countries represented.

This is very impressive. I hope the editors of Psychological Medicine will now do what they should have done when the problems with that paper were first pointed out, and retract it.

Huge thanks to everyone who signed it. Journals don't seem willing to listen to patients - perhaps they'll listen to their peers.

3. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    I immediately started counting, too @Sasha! :) This is huge! :rocket:

Haha, it's nice to imagine the faces of White and his colleagues when they read this letter. :redface: Their narrative of a small subset of dangerous and militant patients who try to stop important research is getting more embarrassing by the day. :nerd:

4. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

It is also quite embarrassing for the editor Robin Murray who wrote an editorial supporting the paper despite the obvious flaws pointed out in letters. I think he was quite critical of patents for daring to write critical letters.

I believe unpublished letters also pointed out the issues with using a threshold of mean -sd given the form of the SF36 physical function data. But they have so far chosen not to correct erroneous claims about the level of function in the overall population.

The PACE recovery paper is highly misleading and should never have been published.

Woolie, L'engle, lemonworld and 31 others like this.
  5. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I agree the paper should never have been published. The "recovery" thresholds for physical function and fatigue were below the levels needed to be sick enough to enter the trial. It beggars belief that the paper ever made it into print.

Zombie_Lurker, Aroa, Orla and 20 others like this.
  6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    BTW, we should be thanking those scientists and orgs and Prof. Vince Racaniello for publishing the letter on his blog. They're all sticking their necks out for us and they didn't need to. I see a lot of new names on there that I don't recognise.

This is a tidal wave of academic disapproval for Psychological Medicine and I hope they'll finally wake up and do the right thing.

7. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

A new open letter was published today on virology.ws, asking Psychological Medicine to retract the article “Recovery from chronic fatigue syndrome after treatments given in the PACE trial.”

The signatories now number 83 scientists and doctors (if I counted right), as well as a number of a patient organisations.

http://www.virology.ws/2017/03/13/a...l-medicine-about-recovery-and-the-pace-trial/

Edit: I saw too late that this has already been posted. Feel free to delete or merge.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  8. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    :angel:

9. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

That is over 100 signatures (i think 102 signatures but lost count). Let us also not forget the charities represent millions of sufferers themselves.

So this must be the vexatious harassing dangerous death threatening minority that wessely was talking about. He really is looking like a fool now.

I wish i could be a fly in Peter White and Michael Sharpe's house tonight. I wonder how they are sleeping at night.

I agree with Sasha that we all need to thank these great scientists who have helped us by logging on virology and leaving a comment of thanks.
    I
    The PACE team have dug themselves a very big hole but this issue is not going away and the longer the PACE team delay and stonewall the worse it will be for them.

Please comment on it.

Aroa, Luther Blissett, justy and 15 others like this.
  10. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Once the first PACE trial paper is retracted, hopefully the other journals and Cochrane will be able to admit that the emperor is indeed naked, and other retractions will soon follow.

11. keenly

keenly Senior Member

UK
    Psychological Medicine

hahahahahaha

Quacks. Pharma shills.

SilverbladeTE likes this.
  12. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    Done!

13. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

A press release is also being prepared

List of UK health professionals and scientists who have signed:

Dr Simon Duffy

Professor Jonathan Edwards

Dr Keith Geraghty

Dr Ian Gibson

Dr Ellen Goudsmit

Dr Eliana Lacerda

Profesor Malcolm Hooper

Dr Charles Shepherd

Dr Tony Ward

Dr William Weir

CS

Robert 1973, Roy S, Aroa and 15 others like this.
  14. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

15. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    znahle, suseq, Aroa and 10 others like this.
  16. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
  17. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    A little disappointed that no researcher from Germany signed, my hope is that they weren't asked or didn't know but that's hard to believe. :(

18. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Dolphin likes this.
  19. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

Will they dare to use again their narrative of a small minority of delusional patients refusing to be labelled as mentally ill?
    Well, I guess they will, they've often proven they have no ethics, but it will be more and more difficult to go on.

Thanks to everyone who signed this letter @charles shepherd @Keith Geraghty @Jonathan Edwards

I can't help quoting this again
    Music to my ears!

(Disappointed but not surprised that there is not a single French signature...)

20. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Great comment by @Sasha

See more popular forum discussions.