1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Scientific Perversion of the Year Award

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Bob, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Bob

Bob

South of England
    My nomination.

To the PACE trial authors (P. D. White, K. Goldsmith, A. L. Johnson, T. Chalder and M. Sharpe; PACE Trial Management Group) who redefined 'recovery' to mean a possible deterioration in health and function (after treatment), and to indicate 'severe' and 'substantial' physical impairment.

Are there any other nominations?

Tito, Ruthie24, Snowdrop and 19 others like this.
  2. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    Can I just second yours? :)

Sean, beaker, Keela Too and 3 others like this.
  3. Roy S

Roy S former DC ME/CFS lobbyist

Illinois, USA

Please, Sir, in view of the fact that this is Christmas Eve Day, may I be allowed to humbly propose an appropriate trophy for this prestigious award?*

A statue of a notoriously slippery varmint; and may the honorary title be bestowed upon it:

"The Weasel"

Apparently I'm not the only one for whom Christmas time brings out the inner Puck, and as a wise man once (allegedly) said -- "Joke 'em if they can't take a Puck."

*This is invoking the spirit of Tiny Tim from "A Christmas Carol" (and Tiny Tim jokes are generally pretty lame)

Bob likes this.
  4. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I don't like him being called a weasel. Weasels are great little creatures:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Least_Weasel

I challenged people in another thread to come up with a good anagram of the chief psychoquack's name. I'm still trying, and also with the names of other ones.

Any suggestions? Or should I make this another thread?

Little Bluestem and Bob like this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I would like to give White et. al. an honorary Bluk award for the same reasons, as detailed in my blog on the topic. That is in addition to the perversion of the year award.

Bob likes this.
  6. Bob

Bob

South of England
    I was quite sympathetic to your thoughts about Weasels, until I watched the second video in the link that you provided: "A nest raider attacks the final reed warbler fledgling." (Don't watch it.)

7. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I don't like seeing animals being killed, but I accept that carnivorous animals have to do it to survive.

Psychoquacks have no such excuse for killing patients.

Bob likes this.
  8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

It was also this year that Peter White released his paper condemning ME/CFS patient groups, but where his two quotes of unreasonable views both came from One Click... which isn't an ME/CFS patient group:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/paper-by-white-reviewed-by-wessely.21689/

There's also this Peter White paper where they choose to have rather higher standards for findings which went against their prejudices:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ldhood-cognitive-ability-and-somatic-s.26753/

I still think that the redefinition of 'recovery' in PACE, and the refuse to allow patients access to the results for the recovery criteria laid out in the trial's protocol, is my favorite example of CFS quackery for the year, but Peter White's other work should not be forgotten.

Sean, snowathlete, beaker and 3 others like this.
  9. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Maybe we can have runners-up, or honorable mentions?

beaker, Dolphin and Bob like this.
  10. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    Dishonorable, surely?

11. beaker

beaker CFS/ME 1986

USA
    Catch 22 aka Contradiction Award. To K. Sebelius for not funding scientific ME/CFS studies b/c there's "no money" , and at the same time spending{wasting} over a million on a committee to review scientific data {that for the most part hasn't been confirmed in follow up studies published in peer review journals because of lack of funding to do the studies} to come up with a new case definition that 50 world renowned experts {who do the research} have said isn't necessary and more scientific studies will show the biomarkers that will do the fine tuning of the CCC{which they universally agree to accept} Oh and turning down requests for funding studies that would provide new studies and new evidence and afore mentioned confirmation studies, that would make the IOM committee obsolete.

Help ! I confused myself. Trying to rewrite it for an hour. I give. Maybe someone can work on the wording? I think you know what I was trying to get at. Thanks.

12. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland

Hm, what about....
    Roid-rodents ?
    Colon Hamsters?
    Fud ferrets?
    Knob strutting smug rats?

:sluggish:

13. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I've got some anagrams for Peter White:

The wee trip
    Hit wet peer
    The wet pier

Must try to do some better ones.

14. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    You can throw in middle names and titles for more effect. ;)

Valentijn likes this.
  15. Ren

Ren Primum Non Nocere

Potemkin Village
    The empty "wessel" makes the loudest sound.

16. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member

Toronto
    Perhaps limiting him to the malevolent cartoon weasel genre would help.
    I confess I find the real thing awful cute.

See more popular forum discussions.