1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Scientific American: Have Pain? Are You Crazy?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by natasa778, Mar 23, 2014.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    Great article, incl lots of great (if depressing) comments!

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...8/have-pain-are-you-crazy-rare-diseases-pt-2/

2. vamah

vamah Senior Member

Washington , DC area
    There is a term for denying pain medication to children who are in pain: child abuse.

3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    The argument stems from Evidence Based Medicine. That is, in these types of cases, it has been determined by a bureaucratic (not scientific) review process that they don't really work and the side effects are too severe, and the cost is too high.

EBM is driving medicine in directions that are very dangerous, but its not possible for me to give an opinion on this particular case as I don't know the science. I do know that long term pain might cause many problems with children in the long term, its obvious. I strongly feel that these kinds of attitudes, of denying treatment, are becoming too pervasive. I suspect it has more to do with cost than patient help.

Little Bluestem and peggy-sue like this.

See more popular forum discussions.