1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Scientific American: Fibromyalgia: Maligned, Misunderstood and (Finally) Treatable

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Firestormm, May 28, 2014.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm Senior Member

Cornwall England
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Sounds like a big load of bullshit :p
    beaker, jimells, voner and 8 others like this.
  3. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
    There's considerable if not overwhelming evidence for central sensitisation playing a key role in fibro and other chronic pain disorders but Dr Clauw fails to mention the high rates of peripheral neuropathy now found in 5 independent studies. Peripheral neuropathy could well be what's driving central pain sensitivity.

What needs to be clarified is whether patients with peripheral neuropathy have been misdiagnosed, whether peripheral neuropathy and fibro occur 'co-morbidly' or whether neuropathy is reflective of the underlying pathology in fibro.

The answers may determine whether fibro needs to be treated peripherally, centrally or both and the role for medication v 'coping' treatments.
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
    NK17 likes this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Wasn't there a claim that marijuana works better than the standard drugs for FM, based on patient feedback?

FM definitely has peripheral problems. The peripheral influences the central, the central influences the peripheral. Its a big circle. For now we seem to have people who favour the top of the circle over the bottom of the circle, and vice versa, but its still a circle.

Identifying cause in complex dynamic multiple feedback loops is hard. We will get there, but when?
    NK17 and PennyIA like this.
  5. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
    Here's an interesting previous discussion involving Dr Clauw regarding the emphasis on central v peripheral mechanisms in fibro :

http://www.the-rheumatologist.org/d..._to_the_Editor_Feedback_from_the_Readers.html
    alex3619 likes this.
  6. Min

Min Senior Member

UK
    CBT again? Same old drivel...
    Valentijn likes this.
  7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    Agreed, it is simply Clauw pushing his speculative ideas again. 'Treatable' is a long way from 'remission'.
    beaker, alex3619, Min and 1 other person like this.
  8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    It could be argued that CBT treats ME ... treatment only implies success. The trick is to show clear evidence. Sadly this has not been done with either CBT or GET for ME, making such treatment unsubstantiated speculation. I suspect its the same thing with FM, though I have not investigated this side of the literature as well as I would like.

The evidence is growing that sweeping areas in psychiatry, and psychogenic medicine, are pervasively biased. This includes denial of contrary evidence, designing experiments so they cannot produce contrary evidence, gatekeeping on publication, and so on. This is being debated more and more by many academics. Its ironic that for a profession that should know about such things as confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance, they seem singularly unaware that they are trapped in an irrational belief system.
    NK17, helen1 and Valentijn like this.
  9. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    My former partner suffers from this disease. Treatment is a joke. It mostly consists of anti-depressants with lots of adverse effects, and lectures on the evils of pain medication.

Given the culture of cruelty that we are subjected to, how can depression caused by poverty, social isolation, and social stigma be separated out from depression possibly caused by the illness itself?

Doctors still call the disease "faker-myalgia"; that really says it all.
    Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.