Phoenix Rising tells QMUL: release the PACE trial data
Mark Berry, Acting CEO of Phoenix Rising, presents the Board of Directors’ open letter to Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) urging them to release the PACE trial data, and hopes that other non-UK organisations will join British charities in the same request...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Scientific American: Can zapping the vagus nerve jump-start immunity?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Kalliope, May 7, 2017.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member

Norway
    Article from Scientific American on an experimental procedure exposing links between nervous and immune systems.
    Can Zapping the Vagus Nerve Jump-Start Immunity?

"Several pharmaceutical companies are investing in 'electroceuticals' — devices that can modulate nerves — to treat cardiovascular and metabolic diseases."

"Bellinger points out that in many autoimmune diseases, not only do sympathetic nerves become overactive as they rearrange themselves into proinflammatory circuits, but also the vagus nerve, which opposes them, becomes underactive. Vagal stimulation might partially restore the balance between these two neural systems. “It's a first step,” she says. “I believe that they will introduce it to the clinic, and they will show remarkable effects.”

Neuroscientist Michael VanElzakker's comment on twitter is:

sb4, slysaint, Hugo and 7 others like this.
  2. Hugo

Hugo Senior Member

The twitter comment seems interesting, has anyone tried mestinon?

Kalliope likes this.
  3. sb4

sb4 Senior Member

United Kingdom
    You need to be careful with acetylcholine esterase inhibitors. I've not tried mestinon however tried similar herb and it made me significantly worse for at least a week. Some have reported long term effects.

Hugo likes this.
  4. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

There is an existing Mestinon thread here:
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/mestinon.21483/

I just finished a trial of Mestinon. I felt weaker with more bedbound days while on Mestinon. Also, some of my old neuro symptoms, such as stumbling, blurred vision and breathing issues worsened. Normally, I'm able to manage those and keep them under control.

I've been off Mestinon for nearly a week now and feel better (back to my "normal" homebound moderate+ ME/CFS).

Hugo and Kalliope like this.
  5. sb4

sb4 Senior Member

United Kingdom

See more popular forum discussions.