• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Scientific American: Can zapping the vagus nerve jump-start immunity?

Kalliope

Article from Scientific American on an experimental procedure exposing links between nervous and immune systems.
Can Zapping the Vagus Nerve Jump-Start Immunity?

"Several pharmaceutical companies are investing in 'electroceuticals' — devices that can modulate nerves — to treat cardiovascular and metabolic diseases."

"Bellinger points out that in many autoimmune diseases, not only do sympathetic nerves become overactive as they rearrange themselves into proinflammatory circuits, but also the vagus nerve, which opposes them, becomes underactive. Vagal stimulation might partially restore the balance between these two neural systems. “It's a first step,” she says. “I believe that they will introduce it to the clinic, and they will show remarkable effects.”

Neuroscientist Michael VanElzakker's comment on twitter is:

sb4

The twitter comment seems interesting, has anyone tried mestinon?
You need to be careful with acetylcholine esterase inhibitors. I've not tried mestinon however tried similar herb and it made me significantly worse for at least a week. Some have reported long term effects.

me/cfs 27931

The twitter comment seems interesting, has anyone tried mestinon?
There is an existing Mestinon thread here:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/mestinon.21483/

I just finished a trial of Mestinon. I felt weaker with more bedbound days while on Mestinon. Also, some of my old neuro symptoms, such as stumbling, blurred vision and breathing issues worsened. Normally, I'm able to manage those and keep them under control.

I've been off Mestinon for nearly a week now and feel better (back to my "normal" homebound moderate+ ME/CFS).