Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Scientific American: Baffling CFS Set for Diagnostic Overhaul

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Firestormm, May 16, 2014.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm

Cornwall England

2. SOC

SOC

Not sure what to think. It's certainly better than other garbage we've seen published, but there's still some misinformation, or misleading information anyway. For example, depression is not a defining symptom of ME/CFS, and there's no mention of immune abnormalities.

Still, overall it's probably more on the positive side than the negative. This is probably the way our public relations is going to go. It won't jump suddenly from the current horribly incorrect misinformation to strictly accurate information overnight. So this is a step in the right direction.

3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Even in that short piece they made a few mistakes. I wonder if we can comment somewhere?

ahimsa, justinreilly and Valentijn like this.
  4. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    I used to read Scientific American back in the day - can't remember why now!

justinreilly likes this.
  5. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    justinreilly and alex3619 like this.
  6. SOC

SOC

Oh geez. They used one of those "tired people" stock photos, too. God, I hate that. It's so overdone and so unrepresentative of the illness. Do they use stock pictures of people coughing when they write an article about lung cancer?

And some twerp in the comments is conflating ME/CFS with chronic fatigue. :depressed:

7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Just posted this.

8. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    I hate the people that post with their magic bullet solutions to "chronic fatigue". You invariably see these in the comments sections below articles about CFS. It's allergies, get some exercise, change your diet, eat garlic. Bleh. It's become one of my pet peeves.

WillowJ, xchocoholic, NK17 and 5 others like this.
  9. NK17

NK17 Senior Member

This article is superficial, full of old and stuffy misconceptions.

IMO it's garbage!

Any of us who has been living with ME would do a better job at describing where we are right now with real research and in describing the highly debilitating symptoms.

And yes @SOC they added one of those 'tired people' stock photos, the ones that make you wish to look like that, fully dressed up, with make up and at an office desk ...

justinreilly likes this.
  10. justinreilly

justinreilly Senior Member

NYC (& RI)
    I wrote to the author. My letter below. You can tweet to her @KHCourage and/or send her a message at:
    http://katherinecourage.com/contact/?contact-form-id=170...

cigana, ahimsa, NK17 and 4 others like this.
  11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Me too. Mostly because everyone I know with CFS or ME has already tried the above - most of us have tried extreme dietary changes like cutting out dairy or wheat etc. I mean if it was that obvious then why wouldn't we try it? Oh, we did and it didn't work.

12. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    The problem is how cfs is diagnosed. I'm sure the people who post these majic cures were diagnosed with cfs and assume they're being helpful. We need realistic diagnostic criteria. Tc ... x

See more popular forum discussions.