1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Knitting Equals Pleasure, Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith loves knitting. Again. She thought her days of knitting and purling were long over but ... she's back ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Science: Melatonin makes old bones stronger

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Firestormm, May 30, 2014.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    WillowJ, alex3619, beaker and 2 others like this.
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I wonder if it's related to increased growth hormone from improved sleep??
  3. beaverfury

beaverfury beaverfury

West Australia
    So glad i started taking melatonin for sleep. I was having a murderous time on minocycline with insomnia and the melatonin has just counteracted it.
  4. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    Have they looked at the effects of melatonin in people with osteoporosis ? I was just dx with that last year and I've been on melatonin for about 5 years.

People are so much more complicated than rats in a controlled lab. Although sometimes I feel like a lab rat.

Tc ... x
    WillowJ, beaker and Min like this.
  5. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    i use melatonin off and on, i cant really say it helps but i add it to my sleep regime anyway but my thoughts are that im getting its antioxidant effects even if it doesnt help sleep.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Many of us find melatonin does not help sleep. Yet I agree with @heapsreal, its antioxidant properties may be even more important. If this rat finding works in humans, well its a whole new world for those with serious bone calcium loss, including the long term bed bound.
  7. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    peroxynitrate if i remember correctly is the oxidant it helps counteract, the other substance that helps counteract this is b12??
  8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Lots of things work on peroxynitrite, Marty Pall has a list of them in his book and probably his website. Many antioxidants do this, but with varying effectiveness.

Hydroxocobalamin for example is a peroxynitrite scavenger. However its thought under some theories that adenosyl cobalamin can inhibit production of peroxynitrite from nitric oxide synthase activity.
    SOC likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.