• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Science Media Centre expert reaction to Journal of Health Psychology’s Special Issue on The PACE Tri

Wonko

And retire.
After being sued to remove all their ill gotten gains, money, reputation, property etc. all gained by blocking research into M.E., making money and reputations by devising and promoting "treatments" that harm patients, knowingly, conspiring with others to remove welfare support etc. etc. - not my prefered option but, it's the absolute most I can see happening

Mrs Sowester

Is that the best they can do?
It's not like they didn't have plenty of time to prepare.
I ask you, a bloke who didn't read the papers sufficiently to grasp even the most basic of arguments then just smeared the authors?

Sorry SMC, it's an F from me. You can't have it both ways, you either dignify an issue with a response or you don't, in this instance you just come across as pompous.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
#COMParetrials
Is that the best they can do?
It's not like they didn't have plenty of time to prepare.
I ask you, a bloke who didn't read the papers sufficiently to grasp even the most basic of arguments then just smeared the authors?

Sorry SMC, it's an F from me. You can't have it both ways, you either dignify an issue with a response or you don't, in this instance you just come across as pompous.

But the guy said:

If you substitute ‘CFS’ for ‘autism’ and ‘PACE trial’ for ‘vaccination’ you see a familiar pattern…”

Okay, so the PACE trial = Vaccination and CFS = Autism. Hey, the false paper about autism being linked to vaccinations was also published in The Lancet! I see the pattern now! I guess this means The Lancet will retract the PACE trial paper right?

Barry53

What struck me immediately earlier on today, and still does, is how many words are used to say nothing of any consequence at all. They still don't get it that best evidence can still be complete tosh if everything else is worse, and is a pathetic claim to have to fall back on. Etc, etc, etc ... If you have to have these folks as advocates, I think they'd be better to just keep quiet; they never seem to know when/how to stop digging.

And if you had had to hazard a guess beforehand where such PACE support might emanate from, the SMC would not really have been a big surprise would it!

lilpink

What struck me immediately earlier on today, and still does, is how many words are used to say nothing of any consequence at all

Imo the best papers are those which very simply expose the truth of the matter. Verbosity is usually a guise for dodgy goings on... such as, but not limited to, an attempt to impress; an attempt to suppress; an attempt to hide; an attempt to deceive.

Prof James Coyne has just posted this on FB:

I think it's hugely exciting that James Coyne has replied with leading information - saying that JHP is not a trashy journal and implying that it reports true stories that have a solid background. Suggesting that there is another story that they should be looking into and if there wasn't anything to hide then why are people making such a fuss. Hopefully this will lead to them looking into it further and uncovering more deceptions.

The 'expert' responses provided by the SMC seem purposely disingenuous and provocative; possibly in the hope that they will provoke responses that validate the scurrilous and negative view they unethically continue to present of those who advocate for, or suffer with, this illness. All credibility appears to have been lost.