• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Science Media Centre expert reaction to Journal of Health Psychology’s Special Issue on The PACE Tri

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Deconditioned healthy people feel pain after doing a sufficient amount of physical activity over and above what they are normally used to. Deconditioned healthy people do not feel fatigued all the time, do not have constant headaches and muscular pain, do not have problems concentrating and so on.

What certain medical professionals don't understand is the fatigue that healthy people feel after exercise is not the same as the fatigue we feel - we have a constant sensation of fatigue when we do nothing adn when we exert ourselves the PEM symptoms that start a day or so later do not feel the same as that which healthy person whom overexerted themselves would feel. PEM is validated objectively as a loss of exercise capacity, a day after exercising, notably with lower ventilatory threshold. This is not found in healthy people doing a comparable amount of exercise. So it is not merely a sensation of fatigue, but has an effect on our ability to exercise too.
It is sad that so many medical professionals have not bothered to ask patients to test whether their idea of what patients are feeling is in fact what patients are feeling.

Last edited:

JohnCB

Immoderate
What certain medical professionals don't understand is the fatigue that healthy people feel after exercise is not the same as the fatigue we feel

The Eskimos have a hundred words for snow, the Greeks have a hundred words for love and the English have a hundred words for rain. Doctors have a single word for a hundred different ways of feeling ill and awful - fatigue.

I used to know fatigue as the feeling I had when I was active and healthy but at the end of a 14 tour on North Sea oil platforms doing 14 shifts of 12 hours plus overtime and sometimes getting dragged from my sleep to fix the computer system in the middle of the night as well.

What I feel now is not fatigue, it is nothing like fatigue, I don't recognise it as fatigue. And there are words that can be used - malaise, illness, drained, exhausted, ****ed, broken, run-over, empty, aching, brain-fogged and all the other words people choose to use for themselves.

So why do doctors stick with fatigue and tiredness? They don't have to worry about a little tiredness, fatigue is the state of the modern world. They mean if they don't recognise us as ill, then they don't have to do anything. They feel happy writing a prescription for fluoxetine and then for other antidepressants when the first didn't work. They feel happy telling you to get some exercise, exercise is good for people, they forget that you have already told them that you have had to give up cycling or running or rock-climbing. They seem blind to your explanation that you are asking for help because you cannot do these things any more.

It is sad that so many medical professionals have not bothered to ask patients to test whether their idea of what patients are feeling is in fact what patients are feeling.

If they let on that they had heard us tell them, they would then have to do something.

[edited to fix the typos that don't show up when I proof read, but are only visible once the article has been posted.]

Invisible Woman

The Eskimos have a hundred words for snow, the Greeks have a hundred words for love and the English have a hundred words for rain. Doctors have a single word for a hundred different ways of feeling ill and awful - fatigue.

I have said almost exactly this to nearly every doctor I have seen. I also refuse to use the term "tired".

Years ago I ran a project and part of it involved merging different systems and data streams. Before we started I did a little due diligence exercise.

I asked two depts to define what they meant by "forecast". Exactly what figures were used to develop their "forecast" & where they got them from. The depts had slightly different meanings & different sources for the same term. Neither of them had been aware of this before.

In a large company that consolidates data as it goes up the chain this could lead to seriously inaccuracies.

In healthcare it promotes/leads to the confusion and abuse that has been inflicted on our vulnerable community.

KME

Here's a thought. I actually included it in a recent critique of a Cochrane review but I have not aired it here.

The patients who were treated with GET in PACE were presumably treated by physios working on the basis that the patients were mistakenly thinking that they could not do more exercise and just needed encouraging into thinking that with more activity they would feel better. And then with some exercise they would find they were indeed better. So the GET would have been associated with telling the patient that they should think they could be better and that nothing was really stopping them and that with a more proactive approach they would find they would improve as the treatment progressed.

Sound familiar? Isn't this what they call CBT? Or at least that sort of CBT that ME/CFS patients get. So the arms in PACE are really Standard care; pacing ; CBT; CBT plus GET. The last two showed no real difference in outcome so there is no reason to attribute any improvement to exercise therapy.

OK, it cannot be that easy. Someone is going to point out I have missed something. But what?

(And remember, in the UK physios nearly always wear blue cardigans as well.)

Yep.

Powell et al’s 2001 RCT is interesting in this regard. It’s entitled “Randomised controlled trial of patient education to encourage graded exercise in chronic fatigue syndrome” (Oxford definition). It’s one of the trials considered as evidence for GET by the Cochrane review.

The paper begins with the sentence “Patient beliefs are based on evidence they find convincing.” They go on to explain that CFS patients believe they have a physical disease, and that this belief is associated with poor prognosis. The next step in the story is that even though “extensive research has failed to identify any serious underlying pathology”, patients do have “disrupted physiological regulation” in the form of circadian dysrhythmia, deconditioning and sleep abnormalities.

GET is then sold as “educating patients about the medical evidence of the physical and psychological effects of physical deconditioning and circadian dysrhythmia, with the intention of encouraging a self managed graded exercise programme”.

“cognitive behaviour therapy is expensive and carries the risk of deterring patients who are fearful of contact with mental health workers”

They’re specific about not broaching anything psychy early on; first physiological explanations are given for symptoms, then a graded exercise programme starts, and only then can psychy things be mentioned: “Once patients were successfully engaged in treatment, the role of predisposing and perpetuating psychosocial factors was discussed.” Bait and switch?

They report how most patients’ beliefs about the cause of their condition changed after treatment. “Only 15%...reported that they had believed that their condition was related to physical deconditioning at baseline whereas 81%...believed this after treatment.”

“Our intervention requires fewer sessions that cognitive behavioural therapy and could be carried out by a clinician without advanced training in psychological therapies.”

“What this study adds: Patients given physiological explanations for their symptoms and encouraged to do graded exercise were significantly better than those who received standardised care at one year. The approach may be as effective as cognitive behaviour therapy but is shorter and requires less therapist skill.”

It’s clear that graded exercise, for Powell and colleagues, is simply an alternative to CBT. The goal is to change patients’ beliefs. Exercise is simply the mechanism by which that is achieved. They see potential advantages of GE over CBT as: cheaper, more acceptable and doesn’t need to be done psych professionals.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
They go on to explain that CFS patients believe they have a physical disease, and that this belief is associated with poor prognosis.
If we just remove the "belief" nonsense inserted by the psychs, this sentence would read:

They go on to explain that CFS patients have a physical disease, and that this is associated with poor prognosis.

Which is in fact the case. Psychs whose belief system involves believing that everything is a question of belief, and who insist on projecting these beliefs onto our illness, are causing an unbelievable amount of harm.

Esther12

If we just remove the "belief" nonsense inserted by the psychs, this sentence would read:

"They go on to explain that CFS patients have a physical disease, and that this is associated with poor prognosis."

Which is in fact the case. Psychs whose belief system involves believing that everything is a question of belief, and who insist on projecting these beliefs onto our illness, are causing an unbelievable amount of harm.

The evidence that we have indicates a poor prognosis... but a lot of that evidence isn't very good. I feel wary of describing almost anything about 'CFS' as a fact! The 'physical illness' thing can be a pain to define too, and only really matters because of the legal issues, and the way exaggerated claims abot the role of psychosocial factors have led to patients being mistreated.

Last edited:

JohnCB

Immoderate
“extensive research has failed to identify any serious underlying pathology”

Love to see the citation for that.

If you ain't dead, it ain't serious.

Or the long version, it's CFS and that isn't serious, it's just tiredness, so any pathology found cannot be serious either.

Why cite anything when you can just gloss over and regard it as a statement of the bleedin' obvious?