• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Scared of the future

Hugo

For me its very strange not have this option in an adult society. For example if I have Bone cancer without
Its about LIVING not dying.

Once you know you have an exit route you can live knowing you have a CHOICE. Many who illegally procure such methods never end up using them. Those that don't have a choice end up hanging themselves in fear they wont get a chance later.

Anyone against euthanasia either has certain (selfish) beliefs or has financial interests (hospitals, drug companies etc).

Imagine if you had the right to a legal painless death? Goodbye billions of chemotherapy profits for conditions that are terminal.

I was born into a toxic world without my permission. I never signed a waiver i was forced like everyone else. I didn't choose to have certain SNPs or to develop debilitating health issues. So if there is anything i get to choose in life, then i am going to do so if it comes to that.

Agree. The historic reason for most countries not having this right is religion. But I live in a country with an overwhelming majority of atheist and there is a clear majority for the right to euthanasia, still this old way persist here aswell.

Death penalty is something a state shouldnt do though, but thats something completly different. Euthanasia is about a persons right to his or hers own body and a doctor that do this has nothing to feel ashamed for. Death penalty though is ending someones life against this persons wishes, that would be hard on anyone if you have any part in that.

I tried not to mention religion as that's against the rules here. But yes that's a part of the issue.

The problem is that healthy people are telling sick people to suffer and live.

If you put all the politicians through a cancer death simulation then they would be on the same page.

People act like with euthanasia people can just give up. That is NOT going to be the case. When people choose to die it's not because death is suddenly appealing. Its because the suffering is so bad the terror of death is less. Just like someone in a building who jumps as soon as the flame comes up.

I can understand to some extent. Death was terrifying when i was healthy and i wanted nothing to do with it. People get spooked.

But i think the majority of the public support euthanasia, so i guess corporations are pressing the government not to do it, as keeping people alive and maiming them makes money

Hugo

tried not to mention religion as that's against the rules here. But yes that's a part of the issue.

Ok I didnt know that. But I think its mostly in a historical context and my point is that we live with laws we sometimes dont even know why we have anymore.

digital dog

I think the overwhelming consensus from people here in the UK is to allow assisted suicide but the polititians that make the law have a different agenda.
I am surprised, however, how difficult it is to aquire the necessary tools to commit suicide illegally.
I know there is a man in Australia (nicknamed DR Death) who sells canisters to over 50's but trying to work out all the practicalities was a nightmare (and I'm not 50 yet!)
I think the law will change. I think in 50 years it will be more commonplace.