The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

SBM: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Systemic Exertion Intolerance Disease Speculcation

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Dolphin, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

'Ugh' at starting on the Chronic Lyme reference (that never seemed that strong and doesn't really support anything).

It reads like it was rushed out, eg:

?

The whole post felt like a slightly rambling introduction to some real analysis that never arrived. I was a little annoyed when it ended without having gone anywhere as generally I think of SBM posts as being more focused than that. Still, better than Harriet Hall's Shorter influenced stuff.

I guess that the blog is titled 'speculation'.

Kati and TiredSam like this.
  3. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Very low quality blog post as I've come to expect from SBM.

Kati and TiredSam like this.
  4. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

But Harriet has put a comment

But I see no evidence to support such statements. Why would cold exposure change this state?

Another comment although he doesn't point to the evidence

Sidereal likes this.
  5. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Thyroid hormone, amphetamines, cold exposure. LOL. Precisely the things that crash the severe patients even further. Doesn't she get it that forcing more energy production on a broken system is the equivalent of flogging a dead horse.

Roseblossom, Solstice, actup and 4 others like this.
  6. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

It seems that SBM is slowly warming up to ME/CFS/SEID being "real". I can't recall details but vaguely associate them with some heavy skepticism and illness denial and in that case, such a blog would be progress.

Solstice, actup, rosie26 and 2 others like this.
  7. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Come on, surely you've not forgotten Sam Cam's sister ...

- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...EARE-stricken-year-says-Sam-Cam-s-sister.html

I'm just surprised more people here haven't tried it.

Solstice, actup, Jennifer J and 3 others like this.
  8. Riley

Riley Senior Member

Louisiana
    Is this a reputable blog? This is a very poorly written piece. However, the doctor who wrote it does seem sympathetic. I'm just not sure what his point was.

Solstice and barbc56 like this.
  9. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Yeah, I agree. I think the point was that because we have a disease that has such few options for cpsymptom relief, are fodder for quackery.

Yet why is the author pointing this out for only PWME? This applies to many illnesses and this could be interpreted as patients with me/cfs are even more prone than others in a similar situation.

I think the intent wasn't to be negative and it is a step in the right direction as far as mecfs being a physical and not mental illness.

But the blog seems muddled and rushed. Perhaps a separate blog about me/cfs would have been more productive.

Solstice likes this.
  10. Justin30

Justin30 Senior Member

That famous Australian Rugby player used ice baths. He got well in just over a year and when they teated his muscles it showed a mito problem...go figure.

11. Sean

Sean Senior Member

SBM (oh, the irony) have a lot of humble pie to eat. Would be fair to say their track record on ME/CFS is poor, spilling over into appalling at times.

Cheshire and actup like this.
  12. Starfive

Starfive

The writer's reference to a fictitious homeopathic remedy 200c C elegans caught my eye. It is the name of the nimotodes that go into a state of dauer, similar to hibernation.

I did a google search for 200c C elegans and came upon a short history of C elegans research. It seems that this worm was "used as a model organism for pursuing research in developmental biology and neurology".

My twilight zone (twirley music please) scfi mind wonders if the worms are actually the culprit??? Might there be a test??

13. Glycon

Glycon World's Most Dangerous Hand Puppet

ON, Canada
    I think that "diving into the crystal sea" is how you cure ME/CFS in a Final Fantasy universe. Either that, or a Phoenix Down, I'm not quite sure off the top of my head. :)

See more popular forum discussions.