Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Saury: The role of the hippocampus in the pathogenesis of ME/CFS (hypothesis)

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by mango, Feb 1, 2016.

1. mango

mango Senior Member

Medical Hypotheses January 2016 Volume 86, Pages 30–38

The role of the hippocampus in the pathogenesis of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)

Jean-Michel Saury
    ME/CFS Rehabilitation Unit, Rehabilitation Clinic, Danderyd University Hospital, SE-18288 Stockholm, Sweden

Abstract
    Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a severe acquired illness characterized by a profound sensation of fatigue, not ameliorated by rest and resulting in a substantial decrease in the amount and quality of occupational, social and recreational activities. Despite intense research, the aetiology and pathogenesis of ME/CFS is still unknown and no conclusive biological markers have been found. As a consequence, an accepted curative treatment is still lacking and rehabilitation programmes are not very effective, as few patients recover. Increased knowledge of the mechanisms leading to the emergence and maintenance of the illness is called for.

In this study, I will put forth an alternative hypothesis to explain some of the pathologies associated with ME/CFS, by concentrating on one of the major strategic organs of the brain, the hippocampus. I will show that the ME/CFS triggering factors also impact the hippocampus, leading to neurocognitive deficits and disturbances in the regulation of the stress system and pain perception. These deficits lead to a substantial decrease in activity and to sleep disorders, which, in turn, impact the hippocampus and initiate a vicious circle of increased disability.

http://www.medical-hypotheses.com/article/S0306-9877(15)00447-8/abstract

L'engle, Valentijn and ballard like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Is the author unaware of the CPET literature on ME/CFS? We're past the "it's purely subjective" stage.

Actually it's a severely neglected illness when it comes to research funding.

This smells like psychobabble in disguise. They love the "it's all subjective" and "there is no pathology" lines. Even when they're wrong.

3. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    Just what the world needs - another half-baked "CFS" hypothesis with no evidence. :vomit:

L'engle, MeSci and mango like this.
  4. adreno

adreno PR activist

Medical Hypothesis is a fantasy journal.

Mij and Scarecrow like this.

See more popular forum discussions.