• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sauna therapy - some questions ... ?

Bansaw

I am thinking heavily of getting a personal steam sauna (not FIR). I heard these were especially good for Bio-toxin illnesses such as Lyme etc.
I contracted Tyhus a while ago which is akin to Lyme in some ways.

My only concern is replacing the lost minerals I am sweating out with the sauna. Already I have poor absorption and my mineral levels need building up, but sweating out will decrease some minerals even further.
My doc said it was OK and she just said,"remember to replace electrolytes", but that was it.

Any comments on replacing minerals or sauna therapy in general?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Any comments on replacing minerals or sauna therapy in general?
I don't know your history but I'd think that your level of heat tolerance would be a big factor in using a steam sauna. It would probably make OI or POTS worse and many of us react badly in other ways to heat. That said, many years ago I used a steam sauna every day (before becoming ill) and found it very helpful to general health and detoxification.

I use an FIR now (at low heat) and replace electrolytes with ElectroMix.

Bansaw

I remember taking a steam sauna in South Korea when I was there a few years ago. I did it just about every other day. I seemed to tolerate it well, but after about 20 mins, I found it hard to breath the hot steam air. It was discomfort to my nasal passages so I had to quit after 20 mins due to breathing not the heat on my body. I felt OK afterwards.

FIR saunas penetrate to a deeper level and steam ones to just under the skin. I wonder though if, once you have detoxed that level under the skin in steam sauna, the next level down shunts up to the detox position and gets detoxed next(?)
Thus steam saunas eventually detox as much as FIR, it just takes more sessions. Well, thats my theory.