Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Sarsaparilla

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Carrigon, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Carrigon

Carrigon Senior Member

PA, USA
    Has anyone tried Indian Sarsaparilla, herb. I've been looking into trying it. It has alot of good properties that might help. It has cortin effects for those of us low in cortisol. It has hormonal effects that might help, especially for those of us who noticed a hormonal connection. And it was used to fight spirochetes for a long time. It does have diuretic properties, which might not be good for those of us with POTS, but I'm looking into it. I'd only be interested in trying the Indian variety, that's the one that was used against spirochetes and would be good for those of us with Lyme.

2. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Would it be good for a person without Lyme or is it specific to Lyme?

GG

3. Carrigon

Carrigon Senior Member

PA, USA
    Well, it has cortin effects if your adrenals are low. It might be worth a try.

Lotus97 likes this.
  4. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Hmm, so I guess someone should be cautious with sarsaparilla (aka smilax) since it can raise cortisol. Even if someone does have low cortisol that needs to be raised slowly or it can be counter-effective. I first heard about sarsaparilla for Lyme disease because it's supposed to bind to endotoxins and be a blood cleanser. It can also increase testosterone and progesterone making it useful for men and women. Sarsaparilla can also lower blood sugar. I'm somewhat skeptical when it comes to claims about herbs in general. I think some are true and some are not. This from herbs2000
    http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_sarsaparilla.htm
    Sarsaparilla can act as an anti-inflammatory and cleansing agent. The herb cab be invaluable in bringing quick relief for a wide array of disorders and problems, such as for instance, skin problems such as psoriasis, eczema and itchiness, and can help treat gout, rheumatism, and rheumatoid arthritis. Certain experts advocate the herb is a very good medicine with potential use for treating impotence. This is because sarsaparilla has a specifically testosterogenic action on the body. This can lead to a dramatic increase in one's muscle bulk. The fact that sarsaparilla has a progesterogenic action means that the herb can be used to bring relief to women suffering from symptoms of menopause and other menstrual problems, like the premenstrual syndrome. In certain cases where menopause is associated with debility and depression sarsaparilla can be very useful. As a matter of fact, Native Amazonian people have been known to take sarsaparilla to improve their virility and to treat problems associated with menopause.

Hanna likes this.
  5. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Anyone have any ideas about sarsaparilla officianalis?

It sounds like the Indian version is not a true sarsaparilla...

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...dientid=379&activeingredientname=sarsaparilla

Very confusing...

6. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    This seems to be Smilax.
    Is sarsaparilla officianalis the Indian version? My doctor prescribed Smilax. I had a cortisol test while on it (though I was also taking Rifampin which can lower cortisol) and my cortisol was extremely low.

Sushi

7. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Smilax was common yrs ago by bodybuilders as it was suppose to increase testosterone . Not sure of mechanisms but i think it stimulated the hypothalmus etc not to different to tribulus.

i didn't know it helped cortisol, that could be interesting?

8. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Here's the best I've found on the differences between the two.

It seems that for spirochete activity, we actually want the regular Sarsaparilla, not the Indian one.

9. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    When I saw this thread, I thought you were making something like root beer.... :lol:

See more popular forum discussions.