1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Sarsaparilla safety

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Tiger Lily 813, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Tiger Lily 813

Tiger Lily 813 Senior Member

New York City
    Hi all,

I wanted to get opinions on usage of Sarsaparilla; I am experimenting with it to see if it will help with my lyme and/or mold detox and immunity issues (waiting on testing still) and possibly to increase testosterone (although it’s debatable whether or not it would help with that) but I read this http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...dientId=379&activeIngredientName=SARSAPARILLA

Which mentions that it has an effect on how long lithium is kept in the body? I am not sure how about the dosage they are referencing here, and if this is something I should be alarmed about?

Any thoughts? Thank you : )
  2. Tiger Lily 813

New York City
    Sidenote- I do not personally take lithium. I am not sure if this warning is really only concerning those who are supplementing lithium, or if it also applies to lithium that is naturally in the body...
  3. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Is this the same as sassafras that was used as a flavorant for root beer and could also be used as a tea. I used to love the tea but then heard it could be toxic and was banned by the FDA.

If it's not, ignore the following url.:)

http://www.drugs.com/npc/sassafras.html

Barb

ETA It looks like it might not be the same because of the safety differences but just in case I will leave this post for now.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  4. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    It is an ingredient in a Bartonella remedy that I take, but I don't know the percentage:

http://www.beyondbalanceinc.com/product-detail/603509-mc-bar-1

Sushi
    Tiger Lily 813 likes this.
  5. Tiger Lily 813

New York City
    Thank you @Sushi is that formula helping? My most annoying symptoms right now are bartonella-related. That's why I bought the Sarsaparilla. Tried a bit of it today and couldn't feel anything. Maybe it has to build up some.
  6. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Yes, it has helped noticeably but I can't begin to take the recommended dose--just a few drops! I think the mixture is important too--you might do better with a combination of several herbs.

I also just started abx for Bartonella.

Sushi
    Tiger Lily 813 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.