New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

San Francisco talk radio jocks "Armstrong and Getty" ridicule ME/CFS on air

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Antares in NYC, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Antares in NYC

Antares in NYC Senior Member

USA
    This will make your blood boil, but these radio shock jocks found ME/CFS - SEID extremely funny. They claimed this is a fake illness invented by moochers to get free disability money from the government. Yes, this is what we are up against:
    Revolting, to say the least.

This is the e-mail address to their programming director: CoryCallewaert@iHeartMedia.com

There is also a comments section in the link posted above.

2. Kati

Kati Patient in training

They are on twitter @talk910 as well.

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Probably best to leave it alone imo. There's so much rubbish on the radio from djs trying to fill air time - it doesn't look like they put any effort into coming to an informed judgement.

Marco, barbc56, *GG* and 5 others like this.
  4. Denise

Denise Senior Member

I tend to agree with @esther. The poor taste of these djs is just one of many exasperating things we hear over and over.
    And our collective energy resources are so few and there are so many things that need to be done.
    Addressing each of these exasperating things diverts our attention from things such as focusing closely on funding needs, developing a larger (nationwide?) awareness campaign or ......

barbc56, Mij, catly and 3 others like this.
  5. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I wouldn't give them the attention...

6. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

In this particular case, I agree. Don't give them the attention. They thrive on such antics to increase ratings.

Barb

7. Ember

Ember Senior Member

PEM vs. PENE:

8. Antares in NYC

Antares in NYC Senior Member

USA
    I don't disagree with you, Barb. You are probably right, but let me tell you: I had a pretty bad week as far as my CFS is concerned. It's been really uphill, in all fronts. And to hear these douchebags treating this illness as if it were a pyramid scam or a laughable joke really ruined my day. I just really didn't need this today.

I know radio shock jocks basically thrive on trolling, but this got to me. It shouldn't, but it made me really depressed. It's, after all, what the world thinks of us while we suffer tremendously and whither in silence and neglect.

Ok, I'll stop now. I just want to crawl in bed.

9. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    It'll be funny when they get it, or a close family member etc..

I'm not going to bother giving them anymore attention than what I just wrote, we have bigger fish to fry!

GG

Marco, barbc56 and Valentijn like this.
  10. Kati

Kati Patient in training

I agree @Antares in NYC no one want to be butt of jokes especially when we are is such vulnerable and unfavorable position.

beaker and barbc56 like this.
  11. Iquitos

Iquitos Senior Member

Colorado
    @Antares I hope you will be able to refocus and think of all the good things that have happened and are happening for us right now. Replace that radio garbage with thoughts of positive stuff.

beaker, *GG*, barbc56 and 1 other person like this.
  12. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

@Antares in NYC

Yeah, I know what you mean. We can't help but have things like this get to us. I'd be worried if someone didn't.

My point was that sometimes we have to prioritize what we are going to do. I'm not sure if these guys are worth it. It probably would just be what they want.

But at the same time do we let things like this go without responding like it never happened?

There are no easy answers nor am I sure what or even if there is a correct answer here.

What I am sure of is that these type of shock jocks, whatever the topic, are idiots and I don't see their appeal. Maybe they are to another generation.

Geese, I think I sound like my parents.:rolleyes:

Barb

Valentijn and Antares in NYC like this.
  13. Denise

Denise Senior Member

@Antares I am sorry you have had a bad week.
    I understand your frustration about these shock jocks and how bad they made you feel. I think most of us have days when these things damage us more than they would on other days.
    I hope you have better moments soon.
    Please take care.

Antares in NYC and beaker like this.
  14. Hell...Hath...No...Fury..

Hell...Hath...No...Fury.. Senior Member

UK
    Back when i was bedridden for years at the start i would often spend all day having to lie in my own urine and vomit, i probably would have had to lie in my own cr*p too if anyone fed me at the time but my bowel was usually empty.

I'd love to give these guys a 'biological sample' of a bad day. An envelope, stuffed full, of the joys of the bedridden and neglected.

To hell with it, lets make that a years worth.

Valentijn and Antares in NYC like this.
  15. Hell...Hath...No...Fury..

UK
    On the one hand you can not let it get to you because they're clearly a pair of bellends, but on the other, they're only voicing out loud what most people secretly or openly think anyway, and this is what hurts.

But as its been said, we have bigger fish to fry.

We may eventually be cured one day, but they'll always be ignorant, lazy morons.

16. beaker

beaker ME/cfs 1986

USA
    I'm so very sorry you were so badly neglected. It is heart breaking. I've lacked emotional support from many family members and friends, but I've always had my folks to care for me. Even now my 87 yo father helps me.
    I wish you much more help now and in the future. Mostly hope that you ( and all of us ) don't need it !

17. Hell...Hath...No...Fury..

UK
    Thanks @beaker i lived with my parents back then, i live alone now :) Neglect is much easier to handle when you're on your own, it makes a huge difference, strangely.

Antares in NYC likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.