• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

San Francisco talk radio jocks "Armstrong and Getty" ridicule ME/CFS on air

Antares in NYC

This will make your blood boil, but these radio shock jocks found ME/CFS - SEID extremely funny. They claimed this is a fake illness invented by moochers to get free disability money from the government. Yes, this is what we are up against:
http://www.talk910.com/media/podcas...011/armstrong-and-getty-021115-hr-2-25806068/

Some choice quotes:
  • "that sounds like trying to get my son to do his homework!"
  • "Malaise following mental and physical exertion – got that, too. Mr. Malaise, they call me. I was born in Malaysia, I'm so full of malaise."
  • "If your doctor says you have it, and the government gives you money, God bless you. This is obviously an effort to make several million more people eligible for government money."

• "It's finally getting me my marijuana card!" (peels of laughter) "That will give you ambition!"
Revolting, to say the least.

This is the e-mail address to their programming director: CoryCallewaert@iHeartMedia.com

There is also a comments section in the link posted above.

Denise

Probably best to leave it alone imo. There's so much rubbish on the radio from djs trying to fill air time - it doesn't look like they put any effort into coming to an informed judgement.

I tend to agree with @esther. The poor taste of these djs is just one of many exasperating things we hear over and over.
And our collective energy resources are so few and there are so many things that need to be done.
Addressing each of these exasperating things diverts our attention from things such as focusing closely on funding needs, developing a larger (nationwide?) awareness campaign or ......

Ember

PEM vs. PENE:
Postexertional neuroimmune exhaustion (PENE pen′-e)

‘Malaise’– a vague feeling of discomfort or fatigue [41] – is an inaccurate and inadequate word for the pathological low-threshold fatigability and postexertional symptom flare. Pain and fatigue are crucial bioalarm signals that instruct patients to modify what they are doing in order to protect the body and prevent further damage. Postexertional neuroimmune exhaustion is part of the body’s global protection response and is associated with dysfunction in the regulatory balance within and between the nervous, immune and endocrine systems, and cellular metabolism and ion transport [42–46]. The normal activity/rest cycle, which involves performing an activity, becoming fatigued and taking a rest whereby energy is restored, becomes dysfunctional.

Numerous papers document abnormal biological responses to exertion, such as loss of the invigorating effects of exercise [20], decreased pain threshold [47–49], decreased cerebral oxygen and blood volume/flow [50–53], decreased maximum heart rate [54], impaired oxygen delivery to muscles [55], elevated levels of nitric oxide metabolites [56] and worsening of other symptoms [57]. Patients reach the anaerobic threshold and maximal exercise at a much lower oxygen consumption level [58]. Reported prolonged effects of exertion include elevated sensory signalling to the brain [59] that is interpreted as pain and fatigue [29], elevated cytokine activity [60], delay in symptom activation [61] and a recovery period of at least 48 h [57]. When an exercise test was given on two consecutive days, some patients experienced up to a 50% drop in their ability to produce energy on the second evaluation [62]. Both submaximal and self-paced physiologically limited exercise resulted in postexertional malaise [48].

Antares in NYC

In this particular case, I agree. Don't give them the attention. They thrive on such antics to increase ratings.

Barb
I don't disagree with you, Barb. You are probably right, but let me tell you: I had a pretty bad week as far as my CFS is concerned. It's been really uphill, in all fronts. And to hear these douchebags treating this illness as if it were a pyramid scam or a laughable joke really ruined my day. I just really didn't need this today.

I know radio shock jocks basically thrive on trolling, but this got to me. It shouldn't, but it made me really depressed. It's, after all, what the world thinks of us while we suffer tremendously and whither in silence and neglect.

Ok, I'll stop now. I just want to crawl in bed.

*GG*

This will make your blood boil, but these radio shock jocks found ME/CFS - SEID extremely funny. They claimed this is a fake illness invented by moochers to get free disability money from the government. Yes, this is what we are up against:

Revolting, to say the least.

This is the e-mail address to their programming director: CoryCallewaert@iHeartMedia.com

There is also a comments section in the link posted above.

It'll be funny when they get it, or a close family member etc..

I'm not going to bother giving them anymore attention than what I just wrote, we have bigger fish to fry!

GG

Kati

Patient in training
I don't disagree with you, Barb. You are probably right, but let me tell you: I had a pretty bad week as far as my CFS is concerned. It's been really uphill, in all fronts. And to hear these douchebags treating this illness as if it were a pyramid scam or a laughable joke really ruined my day. I just really didn't need this today.

I know radio shock jocks basically thrive on trolling, but this got to me. It shouldn't, but it made me really depressed. It's, after all, what the world thinks of us while we suffer tremendously and whither in silence and neglect.

I agree @Antares in NYC no one want to be butt of jokes especially when we are is such vulnerable and unfavorable position.

Iquitos

@Antares I hope you will be able to refocus and think of all the good things that have happened and are happening for us right now. Replace that radio garbage with thoughts of positive stuff.

barbc56

@Antares in NYC

Yeah, I know what you mean. We can't help but have things like this get to us. I'd be worried if someone didn't.

My point was that sometimes we have to prioritize what we are going to do. I'm not sure if these guys are worth it. It probably would just be what they want.

But at the same time do we let things like this go without responding like it never happened?

There are no easy answers nor am I sure what or even if there is a correct answer here.

What I am sure of is that these type of shock jocks, whatever the topic, are idiots and I don't see their appeal. Maybe they are to another generation.

Geese, I think I sound like my parents.:rolleyes:

Barb

Denise

@Antares I am sorry you have had a bad week.
I understand your frustration about these shock jocks and how bad they made you feel. I think most of us have days when these things damage us more than they would on other days.
I hope you have better moments soon.
Please take care.

Back when i was bedridden for years at the start i would often spend all day having to lie in my own urine and vomit, i probably would have had to lie in my own cr*p too if anyone fed me at the time but my bowel was usually empty.

I'd love to give these guys a 'biological sample' of a bad day. An envelope, stuffed full, of the joys of the bedridden and neglected.

To hell with it, lets make that a years worth.

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
Back when i was bedridden for years at the start i would often spend all day having to lie in my own urine and vomit, i probably would have had to lie in my own cr*p too if anyone fed me at the time but my bowel was usually empty.

I'd love to give these guys a 'biological sample' of a bad day. An envelope, stuffed full, of the joys of the bedridden and neglected.

To hell with it, lets make that a years worth.

I'm so very sorry you were so badly neglected. It is heart breaking. I've lacked emotional support from many family members and friends, but I've always had my folks to care for me. Even now my 87 yo father helps me.
I wish you much more help now and in the future. Mostly hope that you ( and all of us ) don't need it !