• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SAMe Titration

SJB944

On Fred's protocol. On small amounts of most basics. Currently taking 8mg MB12 a day, 5mg ADB12, 11.2mg Methylfolate sublingually.

Introduced 25mg of SAMe - 1/4 of a tablet for one week -- initially some slight energy improvement,now making me feel a flat, slightly anxious or at least vexed, not depressed but a subtle decline in my mental coping ability -- everything overwhelming. Also some gut irritation. Disturbed sleep, waking at 3,30am.

Anyone else reacted to SAMe and did they titrate up their dose?

GhostGum

Thanks for this post, because I have suddenly had issues the last week, over sleeping and more flat/tired, am pretty sure now it is my over use of Sam-e; was using 1-2 200mg of the Jarrow a day with no titration. I have been on a methylation cycle now for nearly 12 months though, so not sure it matters as much with titration of Sam-e for me?

Anyway I am going to stop it for a couple of days, then take it easy, maybe 1 200mg tab every second day.

Always hard to judge what is doing what, maybe we are just having an off week, if it seems to not be working for you stop it and start again later; 25mg seems a pretty small dose.

Edit: Just to add here, as I understand it, sam-e is suppose to not be so effective without the presence of B12 and other B vitamins, so if you are only in the process of working into methylation supplements you are probably better off leaving sam-e for a while anyway?

Last edited:

SJB944

Thanks @GhostGum do have others vitamin bs in place. Stopped taking the Sam-e for the time being but some gut issues have flared up.

Wondering if Sam-e can ramp up thirst for folate? If so then the folate deficiency symptoms are different this time than the usual.

GhostGum

Wondering if Sam-e can ramp up thirst for folate? If so then the folate deficiency symptoms are different this time than the usual.

I would be interested to know this as well, it would explain my issues with it, because even though I am on B12 and B's daily I do not take much folate because it does agree with me. Tried adding sam-e again yesterday after a few days off and a bit tired again, so might be a no go.

Juggling methylation supplements is fun, isn't it :confused:

Oberon

Sam-E was one of the most noticeable supplements for me in terms of increased physical energy; I was taking 400mg daily and plan on doubling it with another trial later but it is a bit on the expensive side.