• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SAMe, is it safe?

PeterPositive

Hello,
I am still waiting the results from 23andme, just sent the sample last week. Meanwhile my homocysteine level is stuck between 13-15 even if I take active Bs by the bucketload.

The doctor insists that I should take SAMe, which I tolerate, but last time I took it for a month my Hcy levels went up 3 points. It might just be pure coincidence, but I've read somewhere else that SAMe is not always safe, depending on the subject's ability to recycle S-Homocysteine.

Unfortunately on the internet you can read almost anything and it's contrary so I was wondering if some of the experts here have an opinion on this.

I think the biggest problem at the moment is not knowing which pathways in the methylation cycle are not working.

Any comments or experiences on SAMe? Is it safe in general?

Thanks in advance

acer2000

My experience with SAM-e is that it had a stimulating effect on me. Sometimes overly so. Like I drank too much coffee. Anyways, if you want to try it, make sure you start at a low dose first to see how you tolerate it.

PeterPositive

Thanks. As I wrote I've already tried it and tolerate it but after 1 month of taking it my Hcy level went up 3 points, from 12.5 to 15.5 (while still taking active Bs). Might be coincidence, but I've also read also other negative reports with SAMe.

My question was more about safety and the fact it might worsen homocysteine levels in people with methylation impairments.

cheers

UM MAN

Up regulating the BHMT pathway with TMG or choline might lower your HomoC.
But, I would wait until I had the 23andMe results, incase its a B vitamin issue.

200mg SAMe is the sweet spot for me. 400mg and I am wired.

Critterina

@PeterPositive ,
Love your kittyface!
I think the question is not whether SAMe is safe, but is an increase in your homocysteine levels safe? You know it will happen, all things being equal. Are you willing to go there?
It's true that if you have BHMT 08 that TMG will likely help lower homocysteine, and if you have MTRR A66G that methylB12 will likely lower homocysteine, and that if you have MTHFR C677T, that methylfolate will likely lower homocysteine, and that if you're low in B6 deficient (or can't activate it), then B6 (or P5P) will likely lower homocysteine, and I could go on. And there are interplays between these. How much guessing do you want to do? What do you risk by waiting?

PeterPositive

UM MAN said:
Up regulating the BHMT pathway with TMG or choline might lower your HomoC.
But, I would wait until I had the 23andMe results, incase its a B vitamin issue.

200mg SAMe is the sweet spot for me. 400mg and I am wired.
Thanks. Yes 200mg is also good for me, the doc pushed it to 400 for a while and the stomach was complaining at times.

Critterina said:
I think the question is not whether SAMe is safe, but is an increase in your homocysteine levels safe? You know it will happen, all things being equal. Are you willing to go there?
I am not sure if I understand. What do you mean by "you know it will happen"?
I mean the increase for me has already happened (Hcy was 98 2 years ago :eek:, now ~14) so the idea is to bring it down and possibly unlock other health issues, if they are related (GI mainly). The reduction in the past two years has already given some good results, hopefully bringing it down to the right value will help the body fix the other issues.

Best idea is to wait and see how much I am screwed up at the genetic level...:lol:

cheers

Critterina

I am not sure if I understand. What do you mean by "you know it will happen"?
I mean the increase for me has already happened (Hcy was 98 2 years ago :eek:, now ~14) so the idea is to bring it down and possibly unlock other health issues, if they are related (GI mainly). The reduction in the past two years has already given some good results, hopefully bringing it down to the right value will help the body fix the other issues.

Best idea is to wait and see how much I am screwed up at the genetic level...:lol:

cheers
Sorry, what I meant was "you know it will happen" was just that you did it before, and you know how you responded. I don't think there's any reason to think you'd respond differently this time than last time. Maybe there is.

Waiting for genetics is good. Did you also have a serum amino acid panel? I find that very helpful, myself.

PeterPositive

Sorry, what I meant was "you know it will happen" was just that you did it before, and you know how you responded. I don't think there's any reason to think you'd respond differently this time than last time. Maybe there is.

Waiting for genetics is good. Did you also have a serum amino acid panel? I find that very helpful, myself.
Thanks. No I am not familiar with the amino acid panel. Is it a urine or blood test? Do you have any specific resources that I can check to learn more?

Thanks

Critterina

It is a blood test that my NP orders. The lab I use is one of the Quest Diagnostics (Sonora Quest in AZ). Metametrix publishes an Interpretive Guide for Amino Acids, so I guess they also do the test. You can read about the interpretations, but if you have conflicting ones (one that says protein deficiency and one that says high dietary protien, for example), I need help with it.

Freddd

Hello,
I am still waiting the results from 23andme, just sent the sample last week. Meanwhile my homocysteine level is stuck between 13-15 even if I take active Bs by the bucketload.

The doctor insists that I should take SAMe, which I tolerate, but last time I took it for a month my Hcy levels went up 3 points. It might just be pure coincidence, but I've read somewhere else that SAMe is not always safe, depending on the subject's ability to recycle S-Homocysteine.

Unfortunately on the internet you can read almost anything and it's contrary so I was wondering if some of the experts here have an opinion on this.

I think the biggest problem at the moment is not knowing which pathways in the methylation cycle are not working.

Any comments or experiences on SAMe? Is it safe in general?

Thanks in advance

Hi Peter[ositive,

SAM-e has been through the full FDA required testing for effectiveness AND safety at doses such as 1600mg daily for relief of depression in addition to SSRI. Of course with MeCbl, AdoCbl, l-methylfolate and LCF you may or may not need any SAM-e at all. I would leave it until things much earlier in the chain are started up. The basic vitamins, minerals and Deadlock Quartet (MeCbl etc) are starting at that lowest level.

PeterPositive

Thanks Fredd,
about the so called "deadlock quartet" I am not very familiar with LCF which I presume is the carnitine fumarate, right? Any resources you can point me to, to learn more?

Thanks