Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

SAM-e side effects?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by bigmillz, Oct 18, 2016.

1. bigmillz

bigmillz Senior Member

NYC
    I decided to make this week's experiment sam-e...not sure how I feel about it. No issues falling asleep, but I've had trouble staying asleep. And this lack of sleep kind of negates the benefits, leaving me feeling a bit shaky and overdriven. I'm at 1200mg, so I am on the upper end of dosing, but from everything I've read, this is an optimal zone to achieve full benefits (short of going to 1600mg).

I have started to notice that I'm feeling unusually happy and less fatigued, but again, it's being countered by the lack of sleep.

Thinking about lowering the dose if it doesn't smooth out in a few days. Or if the benefits don't prove amazing by then, dropping it (for $40/month, hell with it). Anyone else have a similar experience?

Edit: Looks like insomnia and related nervousness aren't uncommon: http://www.depressionblog.com/archives/000027.shtml

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  2. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

Taking Sam-E, even a small dose first thing in the morning, gives me sleep problems. This happens to me with other supplements, too.

If you are having some good effects from Sam-E, it sounds like lowering the dose to see if your sleep problems clear up would be a good idea.

3. bigmillz

bigmillz Senior Member

NYC
    Yea, thinking of giving it a couple more days to see if it's coincidentally something else, and if the positives are worth it (I'd like a little more to justify the cost), I'll try 800mg. Good call.

4. Chocolove

Chocolove Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again

@bigmillz From what I've read, they used high dosages in your range in PubMed studies in order to get the humans on a high level quickly to elicit testing results. However, the body doesn't excrete excess in one day, so staying at that high level may quickly cause problems as in headache, insomnia, agitation, irritability, chest pain, trouble breathing, heart palpitations and other issues. You appear to be at your limit of good effects and I would back off immediately.

There is no counterbalance or means to wash out excess that I know of. SAM-e is sold mainly for daily use in the more normal range of 100-200 mg/day. As you have realized, it can quickly build up in your system. You can go cold turkey with this one but you will still suffer as your body deals with the remaining overload.

5. bigmillz

bigmillz Senior Member

NYC
    Yea, I think after today, I'm going to have to drop it down. Definitely feeling a bit manic and out of control. I'll try 800 next and see how it goes.

See more popular forum discussions.