• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sam-e caused depression?

place

Be Strong!
I tried sam-e yesterday, just 100 (broke a pill in half). It gave me a supper small peep in my step. But not much at all.

However, in the middle of the night I had depression. When I would have one to many beers, I would always wake up in the middle of the night and be depressed, severly.

Sam-e cause the same thing last night.

Anyone have any suggestions on why this would happen? If it took me really high, I could understand a big crash. But I could hardly tell the difference when on the sam-e.

Nielk

I have not tried Sam-e but, SSRI's all make me more depressed when I take them.
A doctor told me that this is a known phenomena where one gets the opposite effect of what is usual for a medication.
If this was your experience, I would stay away from it regardless from what other's experiences are. You know best
how your body reacts and you need to listen to it.

Adster

This is purely speculation, but it can raise homocysteine levels in some people apparently if their methylation cycle is compromised. Perhaps that caused you to feel depressed. I can't take it, I get depression setting in after about 10 days. It also causes some sleep issues for me.

jeffrez

I get depression from it, too. It's not uncommon to get paradoxical reactions from psychoactive medications, esp. those affecting 5-HT & NA.

Xandoff

Michael
My real ME CFS Doctor told me to buy the Full Potency SAME-e 200 that is made from 400mg SAME-e tosylate disulfate. He says that any SAME-e that does not come in a blister pack is worthless. This is the JARROW FORMULAS. It really has helped me but we are all in a one room medical schoolhouse and we all have different needs. I accidently took two of these tablets in one day and felt much worse. My Doctor also wrote a prescription for METANX which is a prescription base Complex of B vitamins. Good luck PLACE, just because it works for me doesn't mean it works for everybody.

P.S. I give myself daily B-12 injections and I think this very important when taking SAME-e for ME CFS. I believe SAME-E scours up all your B-12 and we are usually all B-12 defeicent.

place

Be Strong!
Thanks everyone, I did not think anyone else would have this issue. I tried SAM-e several years ago and it worked great, helped with energy.

Marlene- thanks for the link. Wow, thats a lot of people.

I'm not sure I fully understand this but....I re-read some stuff with Methylation and on heartfixers explanation, it states the portions of the Sam-e assists in breaking down dopamine, which I have low levels of. it may have helped with the energy cycle/Methinine but after used its byproducts lowered my dopamine further. If this thought process is wrong, someone help me out and explain it!

Does anyone know what substance from SAM-e breaks down dopamine? I would love to test this theory..

place

Be Strong!
Xandoff, before I was doing Methylation (5 years ago), it did help me, but I can't remember if it gave me depression when it wore off. I did take Jarrow this time.

My other thought was it kicked my methylation cycle up and I need more potassium (my new best friend).

I really need to get tested, but I don't think any of my doc's would give me a script for it. I'm thinking about 23 and me.

Sam-e for me keeps me alive, kind of literally at the moment, I'm in a very bad way though. I have (still) and have always had to take tiny doses, or only take it once every 3-4 days. I generally these days take it about 2 days out of 3, and only at doses of about 12mg or less (yes, fiddling about cutting tabs right down!). But it certainly keeps things going a bit, even though I get slight headaches from it and so on. Without it im woefully worse. But yeah, bigger doses, even the 50mg you mention is too much. Has to be 12.5 or 25 max. And yes, with B12's etc.