The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Salvaging psychotherapy research: a manifesto" (published article) (Coyn

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The full text of this is free here: http://jebp.psychotherapy.ro/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/James-C.-Coyne-Robin-N.-Kok.pdf

Coyne is a renegade psychologist who is not afraid to challenge other psychological researchers.

Valentijn, Sean, biophile and 4 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Valentijn, biophile, Esther12 and 2 others like this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Somebody heavily involved in maintaining this list replies agreeing

http://jebp.psychotherapy.ro/about/...cally-supported-treatments-comment-coyne-kok/

Snowdrop likes this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Valentijn and biophile like this.
  6. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Somewhat off topic, and maybe just fault of a translation?

But as said before:
    WE ARE NOT "CONSUMERS", WE ARE PATIENTS!

Ugh, vast difference. :/
    It's very important. Our systems are just as cuckoo as the Soviets' were, gone that far to an extreme, it's lost sight of important realities!
    Seen it so much in last oh 10 or so years, shift away from "patient" to "consumer".

Also comes into why psych' areas are so mucked up, as too as it's easy tool to pull con games of denial of problems etc, because it doesn't rely on hard evidence, so you can make up any rubbish, and the spread of that has reinforced the existing "stupidity by hubris" of the profession (in general).

Good post though! :)
    just that issue I think, is a very serious one regardless of their current health, and should be on the look out for and protest against.
    He who controls your health, has you by the balls.

jimells likes this.
  7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Valentijn, zzz and Esther12 like this.
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Esther12 likes this.
  10. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    Wow, that is really F'd up big time. This would be shocking, except that I am well past being shocked by anything anymore.

You're right - we are *not* the consumer in the medical industry. That would be the insurance carriers, since they're the ones with the dough. Patients are a necessary evil, one which the medical industry would rather do without...

Valentijn, Sean and SilverbladeTE like this.
  11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Valentijn, biophile and Esther12 like this.
  13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Esther12 likes this.
  14. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Esther12 likes this.
  15. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Valentijn, Esther12 and Snowdrop like this.
  16. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I didn't post all that is useful from this piece.

It is not a short paper.

Esther12 likes this.
  17. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    Maybe instead of salvaging psychotherapy it should be thrown in the trash. Probably most folks receiving psychotherapy would do better if the "therapists" simply acted as a close friend, which implies the therapist would be equal to the client, instead of setting themselves above the client as some kind of expert. This also implies the therapist would share something about themselves to help equalize the relationship.

Over the years I have seen more therapists than I can shake a stick at. The one person who really helped me wasn't a therapist at all. Her official role was to act as case manager to help me deal with the idiotic medical industry. She also drove me to appointments and sometimes to the grocery, which gave us the opportunity for real conversations, including about her own family.

Of course, all that ended when I finally received Social Security Disability. Along with receiving disability I was kicked off Medicaid, which was paying for the case manager. Now I have no way to get to the doctor's office, and getting to the grocery only happens two or three times a month.

SilverbladeTE likes this.
  18. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Thank you for posting this.
    It's very good to have something positive to read.
    If only it caught the eye of the NHS and NIH.

Dolphin likes this.
  19. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks for the excerpts. I wonder how much things are improving. I can't really tell. (Not at all with CFS stuff).

Dolphin likes this.
  20. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I found this interesting:

Not talking about problems seems to be endemic in the medical profession. Questioning of the DSM (from the other APA) is discouraged. Doctors in general will not question the treatments of their colleagues except for questioning "rogue" practitioners.

So far as I am concerned the entire medical profession has no justifiable right to self-regulate. They have failed, and are continuing to fail, and its becoming more and more obvious. One might argue that oversight bodies that recommend or endorse treatments, such as NICE, could correct this. However what tends to happen, from my current understanding, is that such oversight leads to branding particular bias far too often, rather than establishing truly effective treatments.

We cannot blame the medical profession for this, and neither can we blame individual doctors. However it can be asserted they are the people most responsible for fixing this.

SilverbladeTE and Valentijn like this.

See more popular forum discussions.