May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

salmonella before cfs/me

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by jimmy86, Jan 23, 2016.

1. jimmy86

jimmy86

Did anyone have a salmonella infection prior to CFS/ME?

I remember that I had one 2 years before. It was treated with abx, but I got IBS afterwards. Then CFS with gut problems.

Does anyone have a lingering salmonella infection? Did you treat it? Did it help?

2. Valentijn

Valentijn WE ARE KINA

There are genetic mutations which can result in alterations to various parts of the Complement portion of the innate immune system. Some result in over-active responses, and some result in deficiencies where specific infections are not cleared. Mutations in one of those genes, FCN3, is known to specifically result in difficulty mounting a response to at least a couple Salmonella variants.

Do you know for sure that it was a Salmonella infection?

jimmy86 likes this.
  3. jimmy86

jimmy86

That is interesting.
    Yes, I am sure that it was salmonella because I got tested several times while having this infection.

Do you have any reference article? Is it possible to test mutations in FCN3?

4. Valentijn

Valentijn WE ARE KINA

jimmy86 likes this.
  5. Rvanson

Rvanson Senior Member

USA

jimmy86 likes this.
  6. Rvanson

Rvanson Senior Member

USA
    I believe I became I'll with ME shortly after a teriaki chicken dinner. Thought I was going to die. No proof since by the time I was well enough to see a doctor it would have been gone but symptoms fit samonella poisoning.

jimmy86 likes this.
  7. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

I started a thread that went into this general idea, i.e. the significance of a food poisoning event preceding ME by as much as a couple years.

A reasonable objection is that food poisoning is common enough that linking a relatively remote case to the onset of ME would be hard to prove. On the other hand, I think that there's a difference between "common" food poisoning, which may last a couple of hours, and food poisoning which lasts days and may send you to the ER.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-permanently-altered-by-food-poisoning.47886/

Rvanson likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.