• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Saliva Test Collection question

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I'm going to be doing a saliva test tomorrow.

The instructions say to do the first vial within 30 minutes of waking between 6-8 a.m. I've been waking up stupid early, like 2 or 3 a.m. and may or may not get back to sleep, which I know screws things up (part of why I'm getting tested)

I guess I need to follow instructions and then note on forms what is going on.

An suggestions on the test only.

Thanks

Persimmon

The critical thing is to take the sample before you've been awake more than about 30mins - that's where the observable ME/CFS related abnormality occurs.

Some options:
- Wake at normal time (eg 2am); collect saliva; then refrigerate it until you can deliver it later in the day.
- Delay test and wait patiently until you have a morning when you sleep in until at least 6am
- In the evening, stay awake a few hours later than usual if that would cause you to sleep until 6-8am

Whenever you take the sample, refrigerate until you are ready to deliver it.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I can do option one.

Who knows when I'll sleep normally again (and I mean normal for me which is still abnormal) and staying up late only means I'll get less than 3 hours sleep I am getting. I had about 3 hours sleep Friday night and I still only slept 3 hours last night.

I have to get 4 samples throughout out the day.

I'll see how my sleep is tonight. If normal I'll do the test, if not I'll call them and see what they say. My sleep deprived brain couldn't think that far ahead.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
That I know but they say to take the first sample within 30 minutes of waking. I'm assuming they are talking about a normal wake time.

Since I don't have one right now, I'm not sure. I'll decide tomorrow. If I sleep then I'll do it, if I don't I'll call them.

Soundthealarm21

I did this test last month (still waiting to see results and talk to my doc, also waiting on several other tests). I think you should just mark the changed times on the sheet. Because if it's normal to YOU, then that would be a good place to measure. Just my thoughts.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Soundthealarm21 The thing is, this is not normal for me. I used to wake around 3 but I always went back to sleep. This only sleeping 3 hours is new. I'm trying to figure out what is up right now. It could be a few things.

If I don't sleep till 4 or 5 I'll wait and call them tomorrow.

Soundthealarm21

@minkeygirl Then yes if that is NOT normal for YOU then don't do it. I actually had to restart my test. The first attempt I did it in the morning but was having a really horrible day physically and mentally that did not reflect a normal day for me so I washed the tube out and started again a couple days later.

Sorry you're having such horrible sleep!! I have to take bucket loads of stuff to sleep through the night.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Yeah this is new. It started when I started on Valtrex. It's doing a number on me. I just took a break to see if things would quiet down.

That and stopping acyclovir which stopped my tachycardia are my top 2 options.

The thing is, it could be my adrenals causing problems in the first place.

I'm looking for new stuff for sleep but when I find something I get tolerance or nothing stops the tachycardia.

I have some Tylenol 3 with codeine so
I'll give that a shot tonight.

I'm going to call the lab tomorrow and see what they say. I have a doc appt Friday.

Btw. It would not have occurred to me to rinse out the vial. Thanks for the idea.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Update. I slept from 1-4:15 so I did the test at 4:45. I feel SO good by the way. NOT.

I called the lab who said there is usually one hour either way but it's up to the doctor.

I called her office and will keep doing it till I hear back. Worst case I'll have to wash the tubes and wait.

Ema

If it were me, I would take your first three samples as directed (even if you have to wake yourself up for the first one) and then do your final sample when you wake at 4AM instead of at midnight (and then note that on the form).

It would be ideal if they would let you run a fifth sample though.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
The instructions specifically say all samples have to be taken in the same day. I've already called my doctor so I'll let her decide.

*GG*

Update. I slept from 1-4:15 so I did the test at 4:45. I feel SO good by the way. NOT.

I called the lab who said there is usually one hour either way but it's up to the doctor.

I called her office and will keep doing it till I hear back. Worst case I'll have to wash the tubes and wait.

Don't you chew on wax paper? Are you recycling that also? LOL

GG

*GG*

I was given wax paper to help "accumulate" the saliva, which then goes into the tubes. Perhaps my kit is different?

GG

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
They mentioned dental wax or something. The morning was a challenge and took about 20 minutes but the other ones Were No problem at all.

this is also an issue for me if you sleep and wake up/usually sleep and wake up far from the time as the instruction (wake up at 8 am sleep @ 11 pm) do you still collect them according to your sleep pattern or you have to force change your sleep pattern which could change again.
especially how about people who tend to change sleep pattern / dont/ cant sleep at the same time

soxfan

GG...I was given some type of wax paper to chew on too when I did my test...It did help especially first thing in the morning.