• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Saline IV PICC line or not

Grigor

Hello everyone,

I started saline IVs. They are ok I guess. I have a hard time knowing if it works because I can't tolerate people in the room. But because of the low blood volume and my dark skin they can't find my veins. Last time it took her 4 tries. 25 minutes. Where normally just someone walking into my room can be enough for a big PEM crash for days. It's now almost a week ago. Haven't recovered yet. If this continues I will have to stop.

The only solution would be a central line (PICC line) but I need to go to the hospital...
Question is. Can the entering of the PICC line be done at home instead of the hospital? And how quickly can someone clean the thing cause that's also something that needs to be repeated every week.

Thanks for the help.

Have you considered using subcutaneoous fluids? It can be put in by anyone and has a much (almost non-existant) lower risk of infection. It could potientially be less effective though if you 3rd space/cannot absorb the fluids.

Grigor

Thanks for answering. That was the initial idea but it wouldn't be effective enough. My only solution would be a central line but yeah. The trip etc would be a disaster not to speak of the recovery. If I will recover...