1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: In Free Fall Through the Looking Glass
Jody Smith continues to try to put into words the horror of the altered state that hobbles the brains of those with ME/CFS...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

SAIC & NIH to develop XMRV Toolkit

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by beesknees, Aug 27, 2010.

1. George

George waitin' fer rabbits

South Texas
    Frank you're always there when we need ya! Thanks

Cort I think you are 100% right the tipping point has happened behind the scenes. The Alter paper was a bit of delay tactic I think.
  2. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

i think it is very telling that VIP Dx had a test for the MLV viruses from the Lo/Alter paper right after it was published. there is definitely a lot going on behind the scenes.

i hope that in a few weeks, there might be a paper telling us which drugs to take depending on which strain we have. unfortunately, i think we will need a new protease inhibitor.

its so strange how everything is so tightly controlled by the powers that be. i would bet some people are a little scared....if we were all to start getting well, imagine the protests and even riots that could occur.
  3. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

I agree!

When anyone cites the emerging chronic fatigue syndrome market
    including the government, we know we're really on the right track! :)

Gemini
  4. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe
    Hi Sasha,

Check out the breaking news from today re UK Blood Donations, on the General ME/CFS News thread. The ME Association received a letter from the DoH confirming that all past and present ME/CFS patients are exempt - that sounds like a HUGE about turn to me.

Hopefully that is a small bit of good news from the UK.

I'm also hoping that a lot more will come out of the September Conference. Dr Mikovits really seems to have got her 'smarts' in order, as we say in the UK! (ie She is one clever cookie.)
  5. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Thanks, pictureofhealth - you're right, that is good news about the blood ban (I even posted on that thread and promptly forgot that bit of good news! where's my brain!).

Starting to feel better! :Retro smile:
  6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Bloomberg's (the big news agency) led their article about the Alder paper by stating who manufactures the ARV drugs that are the leading contenders agains MLVs. I remember someone on another thread a while back saying they were looking forward to being exploited! Yes, let's be a market - one way to get noticed!
  7. shannah

shannah Senior Member

Also isn't Judy supposed to be releasing the results of the first part of the UK study at the upcoming conference in a couple of weeks? That should shake things up more!

(I know exactly what you mean about the short almost non-existent short term memory thing. Maybe now they know it's a retrovirus they'll stop calling it that trifling name 'brain fog' and refer more to it as dementia like they do in HIV/AIDS!)
  8. Forebearance

Forebearance Senior Member

Great Plains, US
    I love the NCI!

I wonder if we may be benefitting, in a way, from the public health alertness that was caused by the avian flu and the swine flu. It sounds like this company SAIC was just waiting for the next public health crisis to come along and is ready to pounce on it. Thank goodness!
  9. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe
    Military Veterans Site re SAIC involvement in XMRV

The attached link to a Military Veterans Site re the SAIC's involvement in XMRV research, seems to indicate to them that something sinister is afoot.

Either that, or SAIC are simply the best people to call if an organisation needs to develop health/military assisting technologies in a hurry!

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/0...s-xmrv-and-saic-been-involved/?forumid=331851
  10. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

it seems very strange to me to have a military contractor making this xmrv tool kit.

here are the inventors of the xmrv tool kit (as found listed in this article: http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/08...forumid=331851) and their titles, as found listed at the NCI's dept called Advanced Technology Program (ATP)., http://web.ncifcrf.gov/atp/default.asp?page=contacts&LabID=12

Dominic Esposito (SAIC) (Cloning and Expression Optimization Head at ATP)
    Alan Rein (NCI):what i found for him is his bio on NCI: http://home.ncifcrf.gov/hivdrp/Rein.html
    Stuart Le Grice (NCI): his bio at NCI: http://home.ncifcrf.gov/hivdrp/Le_Grice.html
    James Hartley (SAIC) (Laboratory Director at ATP)
    William Gillette (SAIC) (Protein Purification Head at ATP)
    Ralph Hopkins III (SAIC): found a few cancer, herpes, and other papers with his name on them. that is all i can find on him.
    Troy Taylor (SAIC) (Microbial Fermentation Head at ATP)

i think we should do some reasearch into each of these men.
  11. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

i remember a while back dr. coffin told me that the "protein expression lab" out of the NCI was working hard on an assay for XMRV, and it was due out soon.

i think the protein expression lab was able to do this work a long time ago (months ago) but waited until this alter/lo paper came out, and then went public with this "tool kit"

like someone wrote (was it cort?), i think a lot is happening behind the scenes that we know nothing about! and much of it was done before the alter/lo paper came out, and now that the paper is out all this stuff can finally become public.

i don't like that a military contractor is involved in this, but i do like the fact that i think a lot has happened behind the scenes.

it looks to me, from looking at the bios and titles of these above listed men, that the worlds of cancer and retrovirology are ignited -- on fire -- with this new discovery of a retrovirus that could cause cancer (prostate, leukemia).

and i think that they think it could cause a lot more illnesses too.
  12. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    I agree Rrrr, there must be loads we dont know about.
    I wonder how much dr Mikovits has discovered in the last year! she must know sooo much more.
  13. muffin

muffin Senior Member

USA!
    SAIC is not just a defense contractor

SAIC does a lot more of everything than just defense. Defense is probably their bread and butter but I do know that they are involved in many other areas. Don't freak when you see a company that does defense analysis, etc. that is also involved in other government projects. That is pretty normal in Washington and around the Beltway. Contracting firms know the really big money comes out of Department of Defense (DoD) and Homeland Security and so that's where they go. But, they also try like crazy to get into other areas in government (Federal,state, local) and many other areas like economic develpment, health, etc. Just the way it works in Washington (surrounding MD/VA area).

SAIC is a huge company with very smart, highly educated people. They love their PhD there. I would not worry about SAIC involvement. That to me is good news.

See more popular forum discussions.