• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SAFE COOKWARE?

OkRadLakPok

I also have high mercury and aluminum from the cookware I am using. Does anyone know a truly safe one?

I see Dr Mercola puts out a set. I cannot afford that as it is a whole set. I just want a saucepan. I see that glass cookware no longer has saucepans. Corning used to make one and sold out to a company that uses a different formula so they began to explode! So no more glass saucepans!

I also see that the "Orgreenics" pans are fake and still have the stick free crap.

I saw a few others that LOOK safe, but I would like input if anyone else has researched this and where to get them.

Ceramic can be made of lead, so you have to find lead free.
Cast iron is out because I have hemochromatosis genetic variations
stainless steel is usually over aluminum and that is how I am getting the metals.
Glass can be made with lead and does not make saucepans anyway

What the H%&LL am I supposed to cook with? Rocks over an open fire?! Believe me, that is about what I am going to do to get this metal out of my body!!

alex3619

Metal transfer from pans is often because of the presence of acids. Do not use tomato sauces, vinegar or other acid liquids in a saucepan. That includes fruit juice. These can increase the absorption of most metals, including aluminium. If these are avoided then quality stainless steel might be safe.

Its easier to bake in the oven ... and probably healthier. Have you looked into casserole cookware etc.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Le creuset is great but for anyone with spinal problems its a no no - I just returned a small baking dish so definitely couldn't manage a pan. Oh I remembe the good old days when I had the full set and no problems.

I suggest finding an older Corning Visions saucepan at a garage sale, estate sale, thrift store, flea market, or eBay. I have seen them for $5-$12.

Copper but it's expensive.

dannybex

Also, regarding stainless steel -- some of them contain nickel. I think the ones that don't are labeled as 18/0, and the saucepans that have a 10% nickel content are 18/10. They say the ones with nickel are 'stronger', but sorry, I don't need any nickel in my body.

Another way to tell if it has nickel or not, is to use a magnet -- it will not stick to pans with nickel, but will to those without.

More on the subject:

http://lifewithoutplastic.com/en/home/plastic-alternatives/71.html

Jarod

I found that using a little oil on a paper towel to polish the SST pan helps prevent the food from sticking. I like using the high temp oils when cooking also. Grape seed oil, and peanut oil seem to work well

Apart from boiling vegetables in stainless pans, at my house we oven bake everything in glass. It is easier and the results are comparable. I think most of my glassware is borosilicate which I have heard is quite inert. The brands we have are the old English Pyrex/JAJ, new French Pyrex and old Borcam

For occasional frying I am considering either a "safe" enameled steel or aluminium pan, or otherwise a carbon steel wok. Cast iron is way too heavy and seasoning to keep it clean and non-stick is a confusing pain.
I have heard Riess enamel is apparently safe, but haven't been able to confirm. De Buyer do carbon steel coated with a natural beeswax coating.

There is to much conflicting information on this topic, I don't know what to think,

peggy-sue

I still use old Corning glass cookware - it's wonderful stuff.
And ancient Pyrex. (I have a fondness for the bright red stuff from the '50s
I would also suggest having a look on ebay or etsy or some other internet auction place for second-hand glass cookware. There is a load of it out there - so try to find something local, to keep postage costs down.

Jarod, do you heat your pan before wiping with the oil? You get a much better "non-stick" surface from doing this if the pan is very hot first - the oil binds to the surface in a very thin layer.