Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Saccharomyces Boulardii - Any experiences?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by optimist, Jan 3, 2015.

1. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    I just came across this product on this blog that belongs to a renowned Functional GP, and since I have big troubles with my gut, this caught my attention. Anyone who has heard of it and/or tried it?

A rough translation made by Google and me :)

Gondwanaland likes this.
  2. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

3. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    So... the overall impression you've got from it is that it does not seem to do much?

4. Gondwanaland

It helped to flush out supposedly undesired microbiota, helped to reduce excess histamines, helped to reduce acidity but in the long run it wasn't useful for me as it led to more constipation.

cph13 likes this.
  5. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    I see. I have massive food intolerances. Do you think it could help to reduce those?

6. Gondwanaland

I think it is worth trying :thumbsup:
    Are your food intolerances related to acidosis?

7. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    There are some contraindications with this. I'm looking for them now but it was one reason why I couldn't take it. I can't remember what it was LOL.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  8. Gondwanaland

In my case that is true for every probiotic and prebiotic :meh:

9. jepps

jepps Senior Member

Austria
    I take saccharomyces boulardii since 8 months to treat candida.
    Up tp now, It did not change anything according to food intolerances slGA. But I´m taking it still because of the reasons you posted, it is an antagonist to candida.
    My food intolerances began after I detoxified microbes and metals.

10. Gondwanaland

An alkalizing protocol reversed my food intolerances (salicylates). Besides taking magnesium oxide orally, I also took sodium bicarbonate baths after my urine pH was 4.5 in the evening.

jepps likes this.
  11. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    I took it for 3 months two years ago as part of a multi step candida and SIBO treatment. It improved my constipation considerably strangely enough because it's commonly used to treat diarrhea.

optimist and Gondwanaland like this.
  12. Gondwanaland

13. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    That's a good question... how would I know? I often wake up with my saliva tasting like a sour lemon - could that be linked?

Was the reason for taking baking soda in the bath to avoid overdosing? I've been taking some baking soda in the morning for a couple of weeks, but I stopped as I read that one can overdo it. But I felt it helped me, so I would prefer to continue :/

Contradictions like in conflict with other supplements?

I think the conclusion of all this is that we are all quite different, and I will just have to try and see :) But still, non of you have given any warnings against taking it, which is also helpful (I do have a certain degree of trust towards you guys you see ;) ).

14. Gondwanaland

Order pH strips and test your saliva and urine
    I found out that when I had a dry mouth a swish with bicarb helped. Drinking low doses is not a problem (eg 1/8 tsp in a glass of water) . You will immediately feel if you should stop.
    I immersed in it b/c I needed it to be quickly absorbed from my whole body due to high ammonia/acidosis (tight chest, breathlessness, urine pH 4.5 in the evening)

optimist likes this.
  15. Viking

Viking

You can also get beneficial yeasts in Kefir. ( a probiotic food much like yogurt ) Kefir contains both lactic acid bacteria, as well as Saccharomyces yeast strains. The particular strains may vary with the particular kefir. I used kefir starter from Body Ecology. And used coconut water since dairy is an issue for me.

optimist likes this.
  16. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    I've been wanting to try out making kefir and fermented food. Just need to learn how and where to get ingredients :) Thanks for letting me know that this yeast is in Kefir. Is the amount comparable?

17. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    i use sacchromyce bouldarri when im on antibiotics, so almost all the time lol.
    normal probiotics are killed off by abx but not sacchromyce and its suppose to prevent all the bad bacteria in the gut. After the course of abx, then i take the normal probiotics.

optimist likes this.
  18. Viking

Viking

@optimist Because kefir is often home made.. its hard to find exact CFU counts of the different microbes in it. However, kefir is generaly considered to have exceptionally high amounts of benefiicial bacteria and yeasts.

For some reason, I tolerated the coconut kefir better than other probtotics. Though its not yet clear to me why.

I had severe diysbiosis and food allergies following parasites, candida, and tons of antibiotics.

optimist likes this.
  19. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    @Viking I am watching YouTube Kefir videos now
    When you use coconut water, do you need to add extra sugar? I think the sugar is a no-go for me.

20. Viking

Viking

The water that is inside a young coconut has quite a bit of natural sugar already in it, so there is no need to add more... if you taste it, it tastes almost like syrup. As it ferments, the bacteria and yeasts will consume the sugars, leaving a very tart probiotic drink when done.

When its finished fermenting.... 48 hours for the coconut kefir i make... it is sour, not sweet at all, and its pH will drop from about 6 to about 3 ( i use some pH papers to check it.. im a bit of a science guy lol ) What is actually happening is the bacteria are consuming the sugars as the energy source they need to multiply and grow. Once the sugars are fully consumed, they would stop multiplying.

I totally understand your concerns about the sugar. But kefir, and home made yogurt too, if allowed to fully ferment, shouldnt have much sugar left at all. Certainly not enough to taste.

optimist likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.