1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

S. Wessely: "PACE trial, which tested interventions with an impeccable safety record"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Dolphin, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    It's funny, because pushing CBT/GET as the only treatments sure looks like a dualistic response. If he was against dualism, why isn't he outspoken about the need for far more biomedical research along with sociological research? Why does he only talk about psychological research? That seems a bit dualistic to me.
    leela and WillowJ like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    WillowJ likes this.
  3. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    Just sent an email into the journal asking them to retract and in support of Margaret's piece. Let's please all write!

fstjournal@foundation.org.uk

4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I know what you mean.... but i don't think that the journal's editors are likely to respond at all positively to an e-mail phrased like that (eg: people hate accusations of lying).

Admittedly, I don't think that they'd be likely to respond particularly positively to a more cautiously phrased e-mail either.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

From Co-Cure https://listserv.nodak.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind1201a&L=co-cure&T=0&P=2163 :

Enid likes this.
  6. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    Thanks out to Susanna for this very good letter.
    Enid likes this.
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Just thought I'd whack these old Wessely quotes I stumbled upon in here. He's assessing some trial for MCS (I've not read the details of the trial, but his comments reminded me of this thread for some reason). I've ended up quoting about 1/3 of what he wrote, so it could be best to skip to the link at the end, and read it all if you fancy. I just pulled out the bits that amused me:

This one reminds me of a study White irritatingly spins, so I'm including it too:

http://ad-teaching.informatik.uni-f...6/6/1/13590849608999132/13590849608999132.pdf
    biophile likes this.
  8. Sean

Sean Senior Member

No, it is not. At best it is marginal. The reason why the likes of Wessely are so infatuated with placebo is that it is the core proposed mechanism in their CFS model (as 'nocebo'). If the placebo effect is small or non-existent, then their model simply crumbles.

My thoughts exactly about PACE.

Even after 25 years of knowing about these guys and their work, their blatant hypocrisy still takes my breath away.
    Enid, Dolphin and justinreilly like this.
  9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

This seems to be off-line now, and I cannot find it. The Wessely comments look more and more relevent to PACE to me. Anyone know which paper I was quote (from post 67)? Google has failed me.
  10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Given the URL, I thought I might find it on this page:
    http://informahealthcare.com/toc/cjne/6/1
    however, I can't see a S Wessely paper on the page.
    ---
    I searched Wessely in the journal and got five results. The third one is from the right issue so it might be that:

It's not showing up as free in Google Scholar.

ETA: Found it. Had saved it. My habit of saving full papers even if I never know whether I might use them paid off. I'll e-mail it to you.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    Esther12 likes this.
  11. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Good sleuthing!

What did you think - some of those quotes sounded pretty good for aiming back at PACE. I think I pulled them out before we had the employment data.

See more popular forum discussions.