• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

S. Boulardii comes from lychee and mangosteen skin

xchocoholic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccharomyces_boulardii

Saccharomyces boulardii is a tropical strain of yeast first isolated from lychee and mangosteen fruit in 1923 by French scientist Henri Boulard. It is related to, but distinct from, Saccharomyces cerevisiae in several taxonomic, metabolic, and genetic properties.[1]

S. boulardii has been shown to maintain and restore[citation needed] the natural flora in the large and small intestine; it is classified as a probiotic.

Boulard first isolated the yeast after he observed natives of Southeast Asia chewing on the skin of lychee and mangosteen in an attempt to control the symptoms of cholera.

S. boulardii has been shown to be non-pathogenic, non-systemic (it remains in the gastrointestinal tract rather than spreading elsewhere in the body), and grows at the unusually high temperature of 37 °C.[2]
S. boulardii is often marketed as a probiotic in a lyophilized form and is therefore often referred to as Saccharomyces boulardii lyo.

I had no idea we could get probiotics from plant skins, did you ? What an interesting idea. So, what would chewing on the skin of an orange do for us ? Do we get probiotics from the outside of all berries too ? Is this why raw foods are so good for us ? x

xchocoholic

Hi heaps,

I just had to use this post h pylori treatment too. It worked great for stopping the D.

This article got me thinking about how we should eat more skins from fresh fruits and veggies for their good
bacteria and yeast. I haven't googled this yet tho to see what safety precautions we need to take. Tc .. X

i know about mangosteen skin being adv as a health supplement for its high antioxidant effect but didnt know about the probiotic. but its not the same as just any other fruitskin i guess.