1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Russian Immuno-modulators:

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Hip, May 11, 2010.

1. I took so long to reply sorry - I am also confused about the Nancy Klimas and others suggesting the breaks - the first time when I came right in 16 months I took it everyday - it was early days ie 5 years agao. Now I take 6 perday but everynow and then have a break in the weekends. My doc says she doesn't know why the break but as I was usccessful? last time to take it everyday. Also on another thread have found a cheaper source from Goldpharm. Look it up - I'm thinking I will try to find out more about it as it is half the cost of getting it from my pharmacist.

2. mojoey

mojoey Senior Member

3. Rita

Rita Senior Member

I found this interesting page on immuno-modulators of Russian origin. They say that in those countries are much more frequent than in other parts of the world.

http://www.arbidol.org/27390604.pdf

4. Rita

Rita Senior Member

5. shannah

shannah Senior Member

Interesting - Elecampane is used in the Cowden protocol as a particular Lyme treatment for co-infections Babesia and parasites. I was on it for a while and I remember it turning my eyes very intensely bloodshot as it did with others. I'll have to go back and read my notes from it.

From the paper above http://www.ekomed.com.ua/pub/01.pdf

"Immunoxel (Dzherelo) was provided by Ekomed company, Kiev,
    Ukraine. It contains aqueous alcohol extract of elecampane rhizome (Inula helenium);
    fennel fruit (Foeniculum vulgare); juniper berry (Juniperus communis); licorice root
    (Glycyrrhiza glabra); oregano herb (Oreganum majorana); marigold flowers (Calendula
    officinalis); rose hips (Rosa canina) and thyme (Thymus serpyllum). These herbs are
    considered by the FDA as Generally Regarded As Safe (GRAS) substances. Immunoxel
    (Dzherelo) has been approved in 1997 by the Ministry of Health of Ukraine as a dietary,
    immunomodulating supplement."

6. Rita

Rita Senior Member

Here:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2703473/

they said that are another herbs in this product, not only 8 but a lot more(25)
    Important is to know the exact doses each ingredient.Some are very known herbs.
    Dont know if they sell it out of Ukraine, but a american lab is making research about this product.

7. Rita

Rita Senior Member

8. Hip

Hip Senior Member

For anyone trying immunomodulators for chronic fatigue syndrome such as cycloferon (which boosts interferon alpha and beta) or astragalus (which boost interferon alpha and gamma), or Immunovir (which boosts interferon gamma), note that Dr Cheney says that you should follow a pulsed, on/off protocols when taking immunomodulators, to stop the body from getting used to the drugs or herbs, and compensating for them.

Here is Dr Cheney’s protocol for taking Immunovir:

Week one, take 6 tablets a day, Monday through Friday, and none on the weekend. Week two, take 2 tablets a day, Monday through Friday, and none on the weekend. Repeat this cycle. But do not treat every month. Do two months on and then one month off of this “pulsing” dose. This medicine works best when you do not treat regularly. If you treat continuously at the same dose, it stops working. It is an immune modulator, and Dr. Cheney suspects all immuno-modulators are like this. If taken continuously they stop working. The dose must vary so the immune system never knows what to expect.

Whether this Cheney protocol is equally suitable for cycloferon also, I am not sure; but bear in mind that some CFS doctors do feel that the body stops responding to immunomodulators if they are used continuously.

Note that Dr Nancy Klimas, who often prescribes Immunovir for her CFS patients, says that it can take up to a year before the benefits of Immunovir start to accumulate.

Maximizing the Effect

In terms of maximising the antiviral potency of the immunomodulators that boost interferon-alpha (namely cycloferon and astragalus), you may want to consider taking a zinc supplement at the same time, because:

Zinc Potentiates the Antiviral Action of Human Interferon-Alpha Tenfold

That is to say, the above study would suggest that taking zinc supplements at the same time as cycloferon or astragalus should increase the interferon-alpha potency by a factor of 10.

Furthermore, NF-kB inhibitors (like curcumin and grape seed extract) can also boost the antiviral and immunomodulatory effects of interferon.

Finally, note that interferon-alpha has more powerful antiviral action than interferon-gamma, but interferon-alpha + interferon-gamma work even better in combination. So taking an interferon-alpha booster like cycloferon or astragalus, with an interferon-gamma booster like Immunovir (or inosine + DMAE) might be an excellent strategy.

So, adding all the above info together, one might theorize that potent antiviral and immunomodulatory protocol for CFS that I think should have considerable efficacy might be:

Cycloferon and/or astragalus
    Immunovir (or inosine)
    Zinc
    Curcumin or grape seed extract

Of course, consult with a doctor before trying this.

Note that interferon can lower brain serotonin levels, and which may make you a little more depressed. If this happens, try serotonin boosters, like high dose inositol powder, around 10 grams daily (inositol is a B-vitamin, not to be confused with the inosine supplement mentioned above).

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  9. undcvr

undcvr Senior Member

NYC
    Going off topic for awhile, other food drugs/supplements that I have taken and still taking and helping are:

Miso - one of my favs, I would take more of it if it werent so salty
    Natto - this can taste vile to someone not used to it.
    Lemon Juice
    a Salad with Vinegar specifically as the dressing
    Bone Marrow soup (slow boil until even the cartilage (collagen) goes into the soup) *Bone marrow oil tastes quite amazing.
    Maitake/Shitake/Oyster mushoom

Again you should pulse all of these to get the best effect.

10. vli

vli

CA
    This is kind of late but Hip, did you try cycloferon eventually? How did it go??? Thanks so much.

11. Deepseascallop

Deepseascallop

Hi to everyone....

To those, who ask how to take AMIXIN (TILORONE) ......

If your doctor didn't recommend you the other, then the normal treatment with AMEXIN in tablet form would be like:
    1 tab ( 0,125g.) per day after breakfast for 4 days, and then 1 tab. each 48 hours. So 4 days in a raw, 5th day would be a break, and then the next tab should be taken on 6th day, so continues further, with 48 hours interval. Altogether 10 tabs, for smaller scale of immune deficit, and for other more difficult forms of it, the treatment can last much longer.
    BE AWARE!!!!!! that each tablet should always be taken at the same time. And the perfect time for your immune is 8 am.
    So u better try to plan your day in a way that there is a chance to have a breakfast before 8 am.

In general for those who has kind of a 2d type of deficit, there is a wonderful scheme to be used.
    Unfortunately this scheme includes one more medical product, also invented and produced in Russia, named POLYOXIDONIUM.

This scheme of treatment includes the next treatment:

From the day 1 till day 20 you take 2 tabs. of POLYOXIDONIUM (12mg.) 30 min. before breakfast at 8 am. So your breakfast time would be 8.30 am. Then the next time u take 2 tabs. 30 min. before dinner, at 8 pm. So at 8.30 your can dine. Altogether, it would be 4 tabs. per day within 20 days.

From the day 21 you take another medicament IMMUNORM ( Rhatiofarm GMbh.) this is a natural medicament, based on Ehinacea extract. (In fact, I believe, that this medicament can be replaced with any other natural immunomodulator based on Ehinacea.)
    So, from day 21 u take IMMUNORM (0,1g.) 3 times per day while eating within 20 days.
    Also from the same 21 day u start taking AMIXIN. ( the scheme is the same like mentioned above).

Once again 1-20 day POLIOXIDONIUM, from 21 day AMIXIN + IMMUNORM

Also, I could recommend one more wonderful modulator named DERINAT (Desoxiribonucleate sodium). This is by far a very good one as well as POLYOXIDONIUM. Can be even stronger.
    It is used in a form of injections. (1 per day within 10 or 15 days.)

Still try not overdo with modulators, read all info about it carefully, speak to your doctor.
    Remember almost all medicaments can have negative consequences.
    Out of all medicaments mentioned above POLYOXIDONIUM has almost no consequences, and AMIXIN can have a lot, but each case still stays to be individual.

Remember, overdoing with modulator can be dangerous on a genetical level. Take this treatments with breaks. But not a whole year in a row, sure, if we do not speak of the difficult cases. But for those - doctors exist, who would lead u through the whole treatment u need, with those medicaments, that they believe to be the most effective in your case.

BE HELTHY!

Regards,
    Alexandra

heapsreal likes this.
  12. jake45

jake45

Why don't they believe it exists?

See more popular forum discussions.