• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Runny nose

Wondering if any of you have a chronically runny nose? I've had this really bad for the last few years of mye ME. I also sometimes have sneezing attacks (usually in the morning) and sores in my nose that sometimes cause bleeding and itch. The mucus part bothers me the most as it runs down to my throat (sorry for the grosse graphic description ;-) ). I've checked my sinuses many times, had several MRIs and been to an ENT, and everything is fine, so the problem is not there. I also don't have any sinus pain. I have a steroid spray which help a little, but far from all the way. Is this just one of those chronic immune reactions?

lansbergen

For me runny nose, sneezing and itching are good signs and dry coughing is a bad sign.

I do not know about the sores and bleeding. Is it possible you pick your nose when you are asleeep?

That`s interesting @lansbergen. Not sure if these things are more prominent when I feel bad or when I feel good or if there is no connection. No, the bleeding is from high up and back in my nose, I think it`s the mucosal layers that are sore, delicate and irritated and starts to bleed every time I sneeze or blow my nose or just from general irritation. If I blow my nose one too many times it can really start to bleed and I will spit blood. It`s possible that this is actually worsened by the cortison-spray as that can cause more bleedings. It`s the runny nose that bothers me the most as there are some days I feel like I have to blow my nose an infinite number of times. Really annoying.

Strawberry

I have days that my nose will not stop running! I have had severe allergies for many years, and had 5 years of shots for everything airborne. Helped a little, but not a lot. I also get the sores way up high in the nose. I never have used sprays as I felt they didn't work. I only use Zyrtec. You aren't alone.

@lansbergen The runny nose increases, I do know that. I don`t know what will happen to the bleedings as I haven`t tried without for long enough. Maybe I should, but when the main problem gets worse I get a little disheartened.

@Strawberry It`s good to hear that someone can relate (even though I of course don`t which this annoying problem on anybody) :). The weird thing is I have no known allergies, been tested regularly and it`s always fine. I also don`t feel like I react more to any particular thing, it`s just there all day. Driving me insane. :p

@lansbergen No, it doesn`t. But the liquid from the cortison spray sometimes burns it. It doesn`t have to be that I have blown my nose for weeks, it sometimes is just sore and reacts with pain to the spray.

lansbergen

@lansbergen No, it doesn`t. But the liquid from the cortison spray sometimes burns it. It doesn`t have to be that I have blown my nose for weeks, it sometimes is just sore and reacts with pain to the spray.

It comes out of nowhere. It just starts but mine stops after some days and starts again later.

Old Bones

I also sometimes have sneezing attacks (usually in the morning) and sores in my nose that sometimes cause bleeding and itch. . . Is this just one of those chronic immune reactions?

Oh yes, to both the sneezing attacks (also first thing every morning), and an open bleeding sore that never healed, inside only one nostril, near the front. Both symptoms lasted for years. I can't say if it was a chronic immune reaction, and no doctor ever provided an explanation. At times I wondered if it was some sort of herpes infection, although I wasn't affected anywhere else on my body. In fact, after the onset of ME, my once or twice-yearly cold sores stopped entirely for more than twenty years. Five years ago during a period of intense stress, I had one huge cold sore. Since then, not one -- again. And, I only get one cold approximately every seven to ten years. So, there definitely is something weird going on immunologically.

roller

wiggle jiggle
i had nose bleeds during puberty, my brother too. the following reasons for nose bleed i found:

Lectins too high
vitamin K too low
prostacyclin PGI2 too high
sulfur too low

from all of them, i would find high PGI2 being the most likely for me.

Jenny

I get the sneezing too, mainly when I'm in a relapse, in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning. I get a huge amount of mucus, and can get through half a box of tissues in half an hour. It can go on for a couple of hours. I've only had this symptom for the last few years though, after 33 years of ME. I don't have any known allergies either (had lots of tests).

Would love to know what the cause is!

So weird that so many have these symptoms, I haven`t heard that much about them. And especially weird that it often happens in the morning @Jenny and @Old Bones. I can also actually remember I`ve woken up because I had to sneeze in the middle of the night. I didn`t have this symptom the first few years, but all my symptoms and the illness in general have progressed slowly and gotten worse year by year.

I acutally found this while googling: http://www.healthhype.com/morning-sneezing-fits.html It definitely looks to be immune-related and in my case most consistent with the Non-allergic rhinitis with eosinophilia syndrome. Eosinophilia is often present with autoimmune diseases, which is what I believe fits best with my illness. Just a theory though, and not self-diagnosing, but found it interesting.

I actually also have had a gradual loss of smell, but this was believed by my ME doctors to also be related to the neurological parts of the disease, either in my brain, the nerves og the transmission of the signals to and from the nose. I believe this to be the case as my smell don`t improve with opening up the airways, blowing my nose or any of those things.

Jenny

That's interesting Mariah. Could well be to do with eosinophilia.

I don't have any loss of smell - if anything it's heightened recently.

I found this:
Vasomotor rhinitis
  • This features excessive vascular engorgement of the nasal mucosa and profuse, watery rhinorrhoea. The cause is unknown but it appears to be related to an imbalance in the regulation of the parasympathetic and sympathetic systems, with the parasympathetic predominating.
  • It can be triggered by chemical irritants, changes in weather excess humidity or a very dry atmosphere and stress.
  • The nasal mucosa can vary in colour from bright red to purple. Symptoms are usually intermittent.
  • The turgescent mucous membrane varies from bright red to purple. The condition is marked by periods of remission and exacerbation.
I know I have an imbalance in regulation of para and symp systems, but in my case the symp dominates, so it doesn't quite fit.

Rlman

several people on this forum have posted that they stopped their runny nose with diet change, often removing foods they are sensitive to, especially dairy and gluten. one member (golden) stated that going on a raw food diet stopped his runny nose. a thread by omri has some info. these links from another forum are informative: https://www.paleohacks.com/cold/chronic-nasal-congestion-2307 and https://www.paleohacks.com/infection/is-there-a-cure-remedy-for-sinus-infections-9782 and https://www.paleohacks.com/runny-no...date-mild-mucosal-thickening-of-sinuses-25874.

Last edited:

Lolinda

J'aime nager dans le froid style Wim Hof.. 🏊‍♀️🙃
prostacyclin PGI2 too high
sulfur too low

from all of them, i would find high PGI2 being the most likely for me.
In order to find out, look at the following table of side effects people have when taking PGI2 as a drug. To me it looks like it can cause bleeding (in the nose or elsewhere) but maybe not running nose. Actually, I just came across this thread because I was searching all PR for PGI2 because I get exactly the PGI2 symptoms (really almost
IMG_20160814_203516.jpg
all of them) listed in this textbook when I try to kill some bad intestinal bacteria. And no, I do not get runny nose. The sulfur I find interesting. How did you find that one?