1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Rumor: 2 patients died on HIV drugs

Discussion in 'XMRV Testing, Treatment and Transmission' started by Daffodil, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

on yahoo group, someone is claiming that cheney, at the xmrv conference, said that 2 patients have died using HIV drugs for XMRV.

has anyone else heard this???
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

It doesn't sound likely to me. The XMRV news only broke a year ago. To have taken deadly ammounts of ARVs in that time...? Sounds pretty fishy.

I don't have any medical knowledge to back this up, but it doesn't pass my smell test.

I guess he might have known ninety year old patients who thought ARVs were worth a go and happen to have died since, but that's a different matter.
  3. julius

julius Watchoo lookin' at?

Canada
    During the Q and A we would have picked up something if this was the case. I don't think Judy would have been pushing for ARV trials like she was.
  4. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

perhaps these people were taking the drugs w/out being monitored..maybe lactic acidosis or something killed them....but it is a rumor that is going around. perhaps cheney does not want people experimenting?? i dont know
  5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

If it was just people getting ARVs from some sketchy website and taking them themselves, I guess anything's possible.

It would be really sad if that was the case.

I think it's still premature to pay for an XMRV test, never mind going on ARVs.
  6. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

whats premature and whats not premature depends on how sick you are
  7. citybug

citybug Senior Member

NY
    I think you should ask the moderators to change the thread headline. It looks like it is stating fact. People could just read the headline.
    How about Cheney Rumor?
  8. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

yes u are right...someone please change thread title...its only a rumor

thanks
  9. TheMoonIsBlue

TheMoonIsBlue Senior Member

Geeze.....if this really is a rumor started by some random troll in cyber world it is SICK! What if someone targeted the HIV community this way regarding ARV's?
  10. redo

redo Senior Member

Good point Julius.

I like to get to get to the source of this. Could anyone either ask the person at the Yahoo group directly? Or if somone knows Cheney, ask him directly?

I saw the 60 some minutes Q&A video which was linked to from this site. But I didn't hear a word about it there.
  11. garcia

garcia Aristocrat Extraordinaire

London, UK
    This is almost certainly complete rubbish. If there were a shred of truth to this Myra McClure would be shouting it from the rooftops. She is not, ergo can not possibly be true.
  12. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

the person claims that the deaths were the result of cardiac issues...."mitchondrial dysfunction" exacerbated by the HIV meds
  13. julius

julius Watchoo lookin' at?

Canada
    So would Judy, and Coffin....and everybody. How irresponsible would it be to know that ARV's are killing ppl with XMRV, but not send out a warning.

I'm sure keeping silent on this would be a criminal offense...and a very serious one.

We absolutely would have heard about it.
  14. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

yea....you are probably right. ugh. i hope
  15. shannah

shannah Senior Member

16. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

klimas says she wouldnt use azt cuz of mitochondrial problems we already have. perhaps azt caused the problems in the patients, if there were really any deaths.

now i cant help worrying because ever since i started the drugs, my heart has really been acting weird. and i am always tachycardic!

also...if XMRV/MLV is most similar to FeLV, and antivirals dont help FeLV much, then perhaps i am dumb for taking them.

but at the same time, i have these rare days (very rare) where i feel better than i have in several years. just dont know what it all means.
  17. redo

redo Senior Member

I don't think the worsening some experience comes from mitchondrial toxicity. I think it's effects which the drugs on a virus, or perhaps immune changes because the virus is poked at. That's my opinion.

See more popular forum discussions.