1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

RTX successful in inflammatory psychiatric disorder

Discussion in 'Rituximab: News and Research' started by Sherlock, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock bicarb for exercise recovery and taming candida

US
    FWIW:

http://www.disabilityscoop.com/2014/04/22/debate-mimics-psychiatric/19299/

A normal sixth-grader suddenly undergoes severe change, diagnosed as bipolar, is non-communicative, no psychiatric drug helps, steroids help only a little... then RTX makes for stunning improvement.

The hypothetical condition is PANS (pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders) which blames post-infection antibodies.
    merylg, alex3619, Sidereal and 4 others like this.
  2. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    RTX and plasma exchange. I am curious as to why this treatment is not explored more for other 'mysterious' neuroimmune conditions, esp in combination with rtx and others...
    NK17 likes this.
  3. NK17

NK17 Senior Member

I tell you why @natasa778: it's because the NHS and private insurance companies don't want to spend the money.
    It's much easier to pretend that 'mysterious' neuroimmune illnesses are to be treated with psychiatry, it justifies its own existence as a branch of the "scientific" medical field and psych drugs are much, much cheaper ...
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  4. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    Oh I get that part :( meant more along the lines of docs who do treat ME and such as biomedical illnesses, even they don't mention or consider plasmapheresis (to my knowledge). Big shame imo.
    NK17 likes this.
  5. Sherlock

Sherlock bicarb for exercise recovery and taming candida

US
    I'd wondered why they did that in this case, since antibodies are large and don't get past the blood brain barrier. I'd assumed that the benefit came from RTX eliminating the B-cells and their cyokines.

Or maybe the aberrant antibodies were having an indirect effect on the brain.
  6. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    as far as I know this combination is frequently used in 'legit' autoimmune conditions and post-trasplant. Sometimes one of them is combined with IVIG, or all 3 are used ...
    Sherlock likes this.
  7. NK17

NK17 Senior Member

Even the few docs who treat ME have their hands tied. The majority of them cannot justify treatments such as IVIG in the presence of very high Parvovirus B19, even less plasmapheresis.
    Until we get accepted the fact that ME is a chronic highly debilitating disease (such as MS, SLE, SjS, PBC, to name a few) and its biomarkers (which have been searched and found since the early 90's, especially the immune derangement such as malfunctioning NK cells) we won't get any treatment, we'll be left to rot.
    We need to fight to change the status quo.
    I personally see only a small handful of ME docs that want to change and are willing to fight for us. Some are relatively new to the field, some old names, if you read the Fukuda and many other studies, you can see who has been suspiciously playing the game of the powers to be and barely showing any sign of wanting to bring any real change.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    natasa778 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.