1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
In Brief: Muscles and the 'myalgia' in ME/CFS
In the first in a new series of 'In Brief' articles, Andrew Gladman provides a helpful insight into the science behind fairly common topics and explores how they relate to ME/CFS. This time he looks at the muscles, exploring how our reported symptoms might be associated with our...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Rough dosage and costs for Valcyte, Valtrex, Famvir

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by snowathlete, Apr 5, 2012.

1. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Hi all,

I am presenting some options to my family this weekend as they want to talk about how they might be able to help me try a treatment. This is one of the main options.

I need to give a rough idea of dose, cost for each of these drugs. I know it depends on many factors, but i need to start somewhere.

Valtrex - 4000mg a day - 120 a month from India. ? a month on Private prescription.

Valcyte - ?mg a day - ? a month from india. ? a month on Private prescription.

Famvir - 1000mg a day - 100 a month from india. ? a month on Private prescription.

Can you help me fill in the blanks?

Thanks
    Joel
  2. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    My doctor and I settled on a starting dose of Valcyte at 900 mg twice a day. It comes here in 450 mg tablets so that is 4 a day. The pricing here in the US would probably not be much help but I think it is around $2000 with no insurance for a 120 tablet supply.
  3. maryb

maryb Senior Member

UK
    10 days on Valtrex (branded) in the UK at present 110, think I paid about 180 for a 10 day supply from Breakspear, very expensive but I didn't do well on the generic from India.
  4. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Thanks Mary. What dose is this at?
    Presumably the 110 price you mention is at a UK pharmacy, but not the Breakspear one?

Ema - thanks for the info on Valcyte. I think an equivelant amount in the UK would cost about 1500 for the generic form from the internet. Is the price you mentioned in the US for a generic version from a pharmacy?
  5. maryb

maryb Senior Member

UK
    That would be 4 x 500mg tablets a day - about 110 from general pharmacies - breakspear were more expensive supplying them via their own pharmacy at the time but they may have come down in price from them now anyway, I don't think they would up the price intentionally.
  6. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I use famvir at 250mg twice a day, i order 500mg x 60 tabs for $155, so $77 a month for this. It has taken 2 years to get my lymphocytes down to normal(ebv/cmv) . I buy my av's from magicpharma. Whats holding me back i think is chronic sinus infections which im slowly getting on top off and feeling better and soon will be treating some low hormonal issues that i hope will improve stamina and hopefully exercise recovery and PEM, also hopefully it helps with immune function too. Once i have all this dialled in i hope to be getting close to feeling really good. Im getting signs of feeling better but sinuses seem to be causing relapses.

cheers!!!
  7. rk1966

rk1966

NJ
    I have terrible sinus issues (and after 2 sinus surgeries!!!) I SWEAR by accupuncture. Have you tried it? It worked better for me than 2 surgeries did!
  8. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    not yet, but having good results with doxycycline, i think it depends on my immune system keeping it down once off antibiotics. I have started doing some light exercise which i havent done in 12 months, so i think im heading down the right path with my sinuses?????? fingers crossed.

cheers!!!
  9. satoshikasumi

satoshikasumi Senior Member

Take into consideration that there is a patient assistance program available for Valcyte but not some of the other drugs. I don't know if it applies to non-US patients, though. Usually, the requirements for getting free drug from the drug company are: you need to have a low income, and you need to get a denial of payment from an insurance company or government, appeal the denial, and get denied again. Then, your doctor needs to submit this information to the manufacturer along with a letter of medical necessity.

See more popular forum discussions.