The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Romney Vows to Fight the 'Epidemic' of Lyme Disease in Virginia

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by Wayne, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Apparently Romney is sending out mailers in northern Virginia regarding his position on Lyme Disease. This article by the Weekly Standard (which has pictures of the mailer) gives the most concise description I could find:

Campaign Mailer: Romney Vows to Fight the 'Epidemic' of Lyme Disease in Virginia

Here's part of the text in the mailer:
    I found this on another site:
    Given that I have a diagnosis of Lyme Disease, I found this pretty interesting. Can't help but think that since Lyme is at least somewhat connected with ME/CFS, any increased attention on it is a good thing.

GracieJ and Sallysblooms like this.
  2. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Here's an article on the Lyme Disease Association Website:

Mitt Romney Supports Lyme Focus

GracieJ and Sallysblooms like this.
  3. Sallysblooms

Sallysblooms P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!

Southern USA
    It is connected with Dysautonomia for a LOT of people. CFS too I am sure. That is great news!

His family certainly has dealt with illness for years. He does understand it.

warriormom likes this.
  4. MishMash

MishMash

Georgia
    I figured somebody would find a way to use this to bash CFS/FM sufferers too. It didn't take too long. Slate.com, which I usually like, has an article where a non-medical reporter writes that Romney's Lyme Disease epidemic statement is quackery. She says it's part of the "waste basket" collection of Lyme/CFS/FM/MCS diseases that is actually depression.

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...romney_campaign_pushes_medical_nonsense_.html

As scientific proof, the author says her best friend claimed to have Lyme disease syndrome, and eventually committed suicide. Poor thing only had depression. If she had only realized the brilliance of the author in time. The author does quickly comment that she had a lot of real symptoms too. But those were probably manifestations of Lyme too. My medical assessment of the author is that she has dfc condition.

I'm not going to vote for Romney, but I think he is actually a good and decent human being, and he probably cares about Lyme syndrome because his wife has MS. I know Utah is kind of a hotbed for MS, fibromyalgia, etc, so that might also be where he gets his awareness.

5. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    Hmm, yes, just what we need: another committee, a new organizational chart, and more meetings...

6. Sallysblooms

Sallysblooms P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!

Southern USA
    Would be great, he is a man with values. I hope he gets a lot done for that illness.

See more popular forum discussions.