1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Role of natural pseudotyping with other viruses in HIV transmission

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Jemal, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

For those who want to remove the XMRV section on this forum, this story is not over yet. This is a new project that the NIH just funded with almost $800.000. Clearly some people are still interested in the possibility gammaretroviruses are infecting humans.

http://projectreporter.nih.gov/project_info_description.cfm?aid=8144150&icde=10094017

edit: I tried to catch up with all the threads and I think this hasn't been posted yet. If it was, sorry!

2. currer

currer Senior Member

This explains all the studies previously published looking for XMRV in HIV patients.

I wondered at the time why they were focusing so much on looking for XMRV in HIV positive people, when we know that most ME patients are female and not at high risk of HIV infection.

They were checking for pseudotyping - HIV inserting its genome into a gammaretrovirus envelope.

But they didnt say so, did they?

3. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Noosaville, Aust
    WOW! Good pick up Jemal.

Not to mention the implications for MLV infection.

This doesn't sound like a fishing expedition to me. Seems like they already know it's happening. I wonder if there has been a study published previously.

4. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

This study is led by James Hildreth. I did some Googling and he is not new to XMRV. Dr. Mikovits and him have apparently been in contact as well (at least in the past). Some background information from a XMRV seminar in 2010:

http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=15173

5. Forebearance

Forebearance Senior Member

Great Plains, US
    Thanks for this, Jemal. This sounds important. It made me gasp while sitting in a Starbuck's, anyway.

6. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Interesting that it is a full investigation for XMRV. But I wonder what makes them think they will find XMRV, when so many others have failed.
    There have been other studies looking at XMRV/HIV co-infections and they haven't found XMRV.

I don't remember them saying so either currer.

I don't know anything about pseudotyping...

So I wonder if it is widespread in human viruses?

If they find that HIV can insert its genome into a gammaretrovirus, then would this open up research into other types of pseudotyping, I wonder?

Does HIV become a stealth virus if it acquires the envelope glycoprotein of gammaretroviruses? Or does the gammaretrovirus become a stealth virus?

Wasn't there talk about JHK hiding in Herpes viruses?

Questions, Questions, Questions, as always!

7. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    How do they find HIV+ patients who are not on ARV tx?

8. Bob

Bob

South of England
    If they are studying populations in southern Africa, then maybe ARVs are not available, or affordable, to all?

See more popular forum discussions.