Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Role of insulin in brain function - Metabolism and the Brain

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by natasa778, Dec 17, 2012.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/33338/title/Metabolism-and-the-Brain/

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/33338/title/Metabolism-and-the-Brain/

2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I think this is an important article. I do not have references handy, but I hope to blog at some point about the links between oxidative stress, hormones, the brain, sleep and liver function. Its all connected. In us the hypothesis I am looking into is that brain oxidative stress causes hormonal shifts that destabilizes liver function, which then turns around and effects metabolism ... including the brain. A lot of this science didn't exist five years ago. Are we starting to get enough pieces of the puzzle so that someone might finally see the big picture?

Waverunner, merylg and anne_likes_red like this.
  3. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

Mental disorders and diabetes mellitus

Psychiatric disorders and psychological problems are common in patients with diabetes mellitus. There is a twofold increase in depression which is associated with suboptimal glycemic control and increased morbidity and mortality. Other psychiatric disorders frequently associated with diabetes mellitus are disturbed eating behaviour, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia and borderline disease. The coincidence of mental disorders and diabetes mellitus has unfavourable influences on metabolic control and micro- and macroangiopathic late complications. Improvement of therapeutic outcome is a challenge in the modern health system. The intentions behind this position paper are to rise awareness of this special set of problems, to intensify cooperation between involved health care providers and to reduce morbidity and mortality in this patient group.

4. Hip

Hip Senior Member

With type 1 diabetes and autoimmune diabetes being linked to enterovirus infection (ref: 1), this observed association between disruptions in glucose metabolism and psychiatric disorders could be explained by a single causal factor: a chronic enterovirus infection causing both.

Enterovirus infection is strongly linked to ME/CFS.

natasa778 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.