• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Role of calcium d glucarate in sulfur and/or ammonia metabolism

Hi all

Can anyone please explain the role of calcium d glucarate in metabolism of sulfur and/or ammonia?
I have searched the net high and low. Dr Ben Lynch makes passing reference to CDG being a useful nutrient in metabolism of sulfur but makes no reference as to how.
Also less qualified sources frequently refer to its ability to reduce ammonia but again no explanation as to how.

Any insights would be most helpful.
I think this is a nutrient that would help me and I am taking some now but I would be more comfortable if I knew what it was doing in my body.

My interest is in sulfur/ammonia as opposed to estrogen. I am a 36 year old male.

Thanks a lot

alicec

Can anyone please explain the role of calcium d glucarate in metabolism of sulfur and/or ammonia

Calcium glucarate is an inhibitor of beta glucuronidase which in turn is an inhibitor of glucuronidation. So in theory at least, calcium glucarate should promote glucuronidation.

The latter is one of the phase II detox pathways whereby many substances, both endogenous and exogenous, are processed and removed from the body. These include many drugs and steroid hormones.

Many sulphur-containing compounds might be processed by that pathway but it is too general a term to really know what Lynch specifically has in mind.

Ammonia is processed in the urea cycle. Again I'm not sure what link is envisaged between this and glucuronidation - there may be an indirect connection but I can't think of it at the moment.

Thanks @alicec yes one of the reasons I bought CDG originally was an off the charts high beta glucuronidase reading on my CDSA. I note though from Genova's literature that beta glucuronidase plays an important role in carbohydrate digestion so I was reluctant to take it a few times per day given I don't want carbs fermenting in my gut.
My interest in it also stems from the fact that I am currently taking nystatin for yeast (and learning the hard way that I need to go lower and slower with it) and that some fungal toxins are excreted via the glucuronidation pathway.
I'm still none the wiser though about the mechanism by which it interacts with sulfur and ammonia