1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Role of antioxidant system in CFS infection

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by RustyJ, Jul 24, 2010.

1. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Brisbane, Aust
    Some evidence that a failure in the antioxidant system could contribute to CFS. This is an educated look at some of the conditions that could be precursors to CFS. Could have some import on the discussion re sudden or gradual onset. I don't have the cred to analyse. Someone else might be able to. Cheers Rusty.

http://heirsresearch.blogspot.com/

2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi Rusty,

I haven't the mental capacity to read this properly at the moment, but I can say that I have looked at PPARs in the past (around 2000) and it didn't look like there was any clear causality in the literature at that time. I don't doubt that alterations in PPAR chemistry occur with CFS, but it is more likely be a consequence than a cause. That doesn't mean we shouldn't treat it however. These chemicals are closely linked to changes in diet - eat more healthy fats, avoid junk fats. In practice that means seeds and nuts you can tolerate (that don't provoke symptoms) at a dose you can tolerate, and avoid commercially fried foods. Again, I haven't read much on this in a decade, but that is how it looked back then.

Bye
    Alex
  3. RustyJ

Brisbane, Aust
    Hi Alex. Thanks for responding. Only just noticed. I can't recall what motivated me to post this. Someone mentioned mercury the other day, but I can't remember the context. However I do wonder whether the mechanisms discussed above could be flipped around - something of a chicken and egg scenario. One doctor diagnosed me with chronic mercury poisoning, but I have read that chronic fatigue syndrome may hinder the body's ability to eliminate mercury, thus allowing it to build up in tissue. Could the same argument be extended to other toxins? Even mold toxins?
  4. RustyJ

Brisbane, Aust
    Ah, I remember the context. In the thread on Apobec 3G. Someone suggested that maybe the Apobec mechanism doesn't work as well in ME patients, thus allowing the virus to spread more easily. Someone else mentioned mercury as a possible cause of Apobec dysfunction. I really haven't got a clue what I am talking about. Just fishin without bait.

See more popular forum discussions.