1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Roadblocks to Successful Methylation Treatment

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by caledonia, Mar 27, 2014.

1. sadie123

sadie123

@kimomile
    I also have the COMT and MAO and VDR taq +/+. Can you tell me what your ND has you doing to treat these in order to tolerate the methyls.
    Thanks

2. Victronix

Victronix Senior Member

California
    Just to clarify -- it's not B-complex vitamins by themselves that could lead to potassium deficiency, but an interaction with mfolate, correct? I was taking B complex vitamins for years, of various types, mostly B-Right, with 2 - 5000 b-12 per day before mfolate and never had such extreme potassium needs until I started taking methylfolate. It was the B-complex that greatly improved my anxiety after I started taking B-12, which is why I took it. And at that time, I was only taking about 1000 mg of B-12 but still had intense symptoms because I had a strong deficiency.

Adlyfrost likes this.
  3. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Yes, active sublingual or injection B12 + methylfolate creates methylation, which creates cell rebuilding (healing), which increases the need for potassium.

4. kimomile

kimomile

@sadie123
    I have to be honest, I am struggling tremendously. She put me on P5P, Magnesium, Molybdenum and R5P. I never got to the R5P because the Moly gave me so much trouble. She was then going to put me on Niacin and something else that I can't remember. She told me the other day that my SNP's were bad! Yay! That was reassuring. She is just learning and I had so much hope, but I don't think she gets it. Don't know what to do.

I am trying to heal from Lyme and Chlamydia Pneumonia and just can't handle the detox of toxins.

5. sadie123

sadie123

@kimomile
    Sorry to hear that you are doing that well. I would try to find someone who knows this stuff. I am in the process of looking for someone who understands this and knows how to treat it. Hope things get better for you.

6. Adlyfrost

Adlyfrost Senior Member

NJ
    @caledonia : This is AMAZING!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!! This document gave me an exhaustive amount of resources. I really appreciate all the work and research! And your experiences with different things you have tried.

Congratulations on getting through all you had to go through to put something like that together. I hope things will be smooth sailing for you from here on!

FYI: Unfortunately the physician link is broken on your document. Do you know of another good find-a-doc site?

7. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Thanks for the heads up. The link is in my signature below.

Adlyfrost likes this.
  8. nomad

nomad Anyone interested in a London Support group?

London, UK
    What will be the signs of a potassium deficiency ? Muscle cramping/tension by any chance ? In which case pottasium dosage ?

9. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    That sounds like it could either magnesium or potassium or both. Those two work together and have to be in balance. Of course, everyone is going to be different in what they require.

As an example, I'm taking those and have had different balances at different times. At one time my mag was as high as 1800mg. I'm currently taking 525mg of mag and 3105mg of potassium. These are divided into four doses, which I take through out the day for better absorption.

This is how my doc told me to work out what I needed and it worked for me - pick one to start with, and gradually increase the dose. Pay attention to how you feel. The mag especially can cause diarrhea, so if that starts happening, back off a bit. For potassium, you should notice pretty quick relief in symptoms, but if you take too much, you'll start to feel strange. So there's a "sweet spot" for each one.

You can also try using self muscle testing, but since it requires good hydration and electrolyte balance, it's difficult to use unless your electrolytes are somewhere in the ballpark of where they need to be.

nomad likes this.
  10. nomad

nomad Anyone interested in a London Support group?

London, UK
    Thanks @caledonia I take magnesium transdermally mostly so hard to measure dose. I find oral magnesium doesn't absorb so well.

Do you take the potassium daily ? Also, which is better: Potassium Gluconate or Potassium Chloride ?

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  11. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Yes, daily and often (four times a day). I used Now brand potassium gluconate powder dissolved in water and drunk. I have my mag added into that - Vinco's magnesium glycinate. I find mixing them in water and drinking them works really well for absorption.

nomad likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.