1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Rituximab maintenance therapy: a step forward in follicular lymphoma

Discussion in 'Rituximab: News and Research' started by Andrew, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    Thanks.

Which study has followed this up for the longest period of time? This one appears to be about 2 years (and n=151).
  3. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    I don't know what the follow up was. I thought I'd get this posted and maybe check later.
  4. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I wonder if maintenance can be maintain with antivirals after ritux treatment. AV's have a saver side effect profile from what we know so far??

cheers!!!
  5. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    I guess it depends on how cfs works. If killing b cells is the trick, then I don't see what the AV would do.
  6. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

This depends on why killing CD20 B-cells works. These are cells which hold antigens as memory cells for the immune system. In the case of viruses the entire virus may be in there. Holding the virus in check while other B-cells reconstitute normal immune function might be useful.
  7. currer

currer Senior Member

It is not known how this therapy works for other diseases - so to expect answers in the case of ME is a bit much. Many drugs are used therapeutically without knowing how they work exactly.

They could be killing off the retrovirally infected cells and thus reducing the tissue load. Who knows?

We need more research.
  8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    From an idealistic point of view, if the phase 3 trial for Rituximab is successful, it is beneficial not necessarily just as a (non-specific) treatment, but also a clue for further research and development of more specific drugs. Responding to Rituximab creates a novel subgroup for study. (and blood can be banked beforehand for later study).

Of course as Currer said, expecting answers in the short term is a bit much.

See more popular forum discussions.