Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Rituximab For RA Shows Small Increase In Hepatitis B Reactivation

Discussion in 'Rituximab: News and Research' started by Never Give Up, May 5, 2016.

1. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

This adds some support to the idea that if ME is caused by viruses, and Rituximab suppresses immune response to those viruses, then we might see a worsening of the condition in the long run with Rituximab use.

http://www.jrheum.org/content/43/5/869.abstract

merylg and halcyon like this.
  2. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

I had a quick look and I am not sure how you formed your speculation.

This is talking about reactivation of HBV. And it states

Maybe i missed something ?

Valentijn and Marky90 like this.
  3. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    But this would only be if someone had prior Hep B infection, not that RTX causes it?

4. Kati

Kati Patient in training

It is well known that there is a risk of HepB reactivation for those who have the virus (not the vaccine) and who are started on Rituximab. It is a relative contraindication and the physicians have to thread very carefully.

merylg likes this.
  5. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    But if someone never had HepB and tests negative for it, then they are okay? No worries, Kati, if you do not know. I assume physicians know which tests to order before someone has RTX for any condition (or I'd hope!)

6. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Yes, you're ok if you never had Hep B. It is difficult to get unless you are living an at-risk lifestyle or it was transmitted through birth.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  7. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Thanks and that's what I thought. Great to hear confirmation though and I do not have HepB.

See more popular forum discussions.