• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rituximab For RA Shows Small Increase In Hepatitis B Reactivation

This adds some support to the idea that if ME is caused by viruses, and Rituximab suppresses immune response to those viruses, then we might see a worsening of the condition in the long run with Rituximab use.

http://www.jrheum.org/content/43/5/869.abstract

I had a quick look and I am not sure how you formed your speculation.

This is talking about reactivation of HBV. And it states

The administration of RTX + DMARD in patients with RA with resolved HBV infection leads to a negligible risk of HBV reactivation,

Maybe i missed something ?

Gingergrrl

But this would only be if someone had prior Hep B infection, not that RTX causes it?

Kati

Patient in training
It is well known that there is a risk of HepB reactivation for those who have the virus (not the vaccine) and who are started on Rituximab. It is a relative contraindication and the physicians have to thread very carefully.

Gingergrrl

It is well known that there is a risk of HepB reactivation for those who have the virus (not the vaccine) and who are started on Rituximab. It is a relative contraindication and the physicians have to thread very carefully.

But if someone never had HepB and tests negative for it, then they are okay? No worries, Kati, if you do not know. I assume physicians know which tests to order before someone has RTX for any condition (or I'd hope!)

Kati

Patient in training
But if someone never had HepB and tests negative for it, then they are okay? No worries, Kati, if you do not know. I assume physicians know which tests to order before someone has RTX for any condition (or I'd hope!)
Yes, you're ok if you never had Hep B. It is difficult to get unless you are living an at-risk lifestyle or it was transmitted through birth.

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

Yes, you're ok if you never had Hep B. It is difficult to get unless you are living an at-risk lifestyle.

Thanks and that's what I thought. Great to hear confirmation though and I do not have HepB.