• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rising cortisol

I have had 3 cortisol tests over a 7 month period. All tests were done at the same time of day. Ref range is 6.2 - 19.4 In July, I was at a 6.5 and in October I was 19.3. In February I was at 27.2. I am having another test done tomorrow...this one will check midnight and am cortisol.
I have no idea what this rising cortisol means or could mean. Other markers for adrenal problems are normal (I can't remember what those are but my dr said the indicators for Cushing's and Addison's are not there). I am on thyroid blocking drugs for hyperthyroid...I don't know if that cld b a cause. Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Last edited:

South

The reading I've done on the opposite problem, low cortisol, often speculates on a close connection between the adrenals and the thyroid. But mostly the discussions seem to be that the adrenal problems may cause thyroid problems, much less often do I see speculation on the thyroid problems causing the adrenal problems.

All speculation, anyway - I don't know if anyone really knows. But the suspicion is there, that the two organs speak to each other.

Wish I had more info!

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Adrenal problems should be treated before thyroid. And cortisol saliva or urine is what you want, not blood. I drop this as an useful tidbit of information coming from someone that has spent countless hours reading stuff related and participating in forums.

I didn't have this issue until after I was diagnosed with Grave's disease. My adrenals had been tested twice when I already had Grave's. I had done treatment for a few months when my first cortisol test came back elevated (but still within range). I thought it may be a fluke. The new one just came back even higher so now I know something is going on. My question is...what could cause it? I am doing a 24 hr test now and hopefully will get the results in a few days. This is all new to me. Supposedly adrenals affect thyroid, not vice versa, so having the thyroid prob first is odd.

drob31

I have the same issue. My cortisol levels were relatively low, then after I did a trial of thyroid hormone, now they're high.

Interesting. Mine cortisol got higher after lowering my thyroid..,although it (thyroid levels) was still higher than average.