• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Right timing of methylcobalamin and methylfolate, Fredd ?

daniariete2000

Hi all,

I just would like to know the right timing to assume B-Complex,methylfolate,methylcobalamin

1) B-Complex 1 cap at lunch and 1 cap at dinner is ok or maybe taking at dinner is no good ?

From http://mthfr.net/mthfr-c677t-mutation-basic-protocol/2012/02/24/ I can read :
  • important to supply methylcobalamin first before methylfolate to prevent methyl trapping
  • Methylfolate is best absorbed on an empty stomach or sublingually
2) This it mean that I should take methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin together sublingually after breakfast and maybe Methylfolate after 2-3 hours when my stomach will be almost empty ?

Thanks

Daniele

joshi81

i would add.. do you take the supplements all at once or for every supplement you take the dose during the day ... i mean methylfolate you take one dose once a day or divide the dose through the day and the ame for the other supplements?

Freddd

Hi all,

I just would like to know the right timing to assume B-Complex,methylfolate,methylcobalamin

1) B-Complex 1 cap at lunch and 1 cap at dinner is ok or maybe taking at dinner is no good ?

From http://mthfr.net/mthfr-c677t-mutation-basic-protocol/2012/02/24/ I can read :
  • important to supply methylcobalamin first before methylfolate to prevent methyl trapping
  • Methylfolate is best absorbed on an empty stomach or sublingually
2) This it mean that I should take methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin together sublingually after breakfast and maybe Methylfolate after 2-3 hours when my stomach will be almost empty ?

Thanks

Daniele

Hi Daniele,

important to supply methylcobalamin first before methylfolate to prevent methyl trapping

There is no need at all except maybe the very first dose of sublingual b12 only. And as I take methylfolate orally reaching a serum peak in an hour and sublingual b12 that is absorbed noticeably in 5 minutes when I was deficient or 30 minutes in the CNS there really isn't a problem. I have found that having the methylfolate on board while absorbing most of the b12 vastly increases the serum halflife. When in partial methylation block via folic acid b12 excretion via urine is very rapid. When in methyltrap, it is much much much faster. When in full methylfolate sufficiency serum half life is far longer then with folic acid. This is visible in the urine if one is taking large enough doses.

Methylfolate is best absorbed on an empty stomach or sublingually

I've never tried it sublingually. I take it on an empty stomach to avoid potassium and vitamin C which hinder it, and it is absorbed well.. It is said to be very well absorbed orally with food. I take my first dose of folate on empty stomach in morning with pre-meal supplements (LCF, SAM-e, DHEA, Pregnenolone and my meds). Then my first dose of AdoCbl/MeCbl after my first cup of coffee. Then I eat near noon my first meal. The methylfolate substantially increases retention of MeCbl in some way for some reason. In the evening I eat, wait two hours, take folate and then evening dose of b12, then an hour or more later potassium at bedtime.

I take a full assortment of vitamins except folate and b12 at each of 2 meals.

Somewhere in the afternoon I take a dose of methylfolate and then an hour or so later, potassium.

This works for me.

I'm finding that the first MeCbl-AdoCbl (10mg and 10mg, 5 star, 100mg MeCbl 3-4 star for 1-2 hours retention) an hour after SAM-e and LCF gets the neurological healing going, which is often not pleasant as it can cause irritation and anger if certain areas are damaged. I've been through several cycles of this.

I don't always get the timing perfect due to living a life and having other things to do. I just do the best I can.

Last edited:

daniariete2000

Thanks Fredd,

If I start with AdoCbl/MeCbl and methylfolate at breakfast time, when you suggest me to take 1 cap of B-complex ? I want to start with 1 cap but you think is better at lunch or maybe at dinner to stay more far from AdoCbl/MeCbl/methylfolate taken at breakfast ?

Thank you

daniariete2000

Hi @Fredd ,

I would like to ask you 2 things :

1) is correct to take AdoCbl/MeCbl together after breakfast or I have to wait some time ?

2)If I will take AdoCbl/MeCbl 2 times, can I take the second dose after lunch or is too close to breakfast and is better at dinner ? I thought that at dinner maybe it would be too energetic and I thought maybe it would be better taking only B-complex at dinner time

Thanks

Daniele

Freddd

HI Daniele,

The AdoCbl and MeCbl can be taken really at any time during the day or multiple times. How much depends upon what your titrated needs turn out to be. When a person has reached equilibrium with AdoCbl and MeCbl, each dose makes no noticeable difference so it can't be too energetic no matter when taken. It only has that effect before a person has reached an equilibrium. Most people reach that level at around 15mg a day after some days. That doesn't mean that healing isn't humming along. It means that one is not having an increased saturation of the tissues, everything needing b12 is getting it so there is no noticeable difference from day to day. At this point one can test for CSF/CNS needs separate from body needs.