The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Rifts and Bright Spots in Evidence-Based Medicine" (report on day 2 of Evidence Live conference)

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I (and some other people) can get a bit tired of claims that CBT and GET are evidence-based therapies for ME/CFS which can lead us to question whether evidence-based medicine is not without its flaws.
    Here's a report on a recent conference where some people who are big into evidence-based medicine are questioning it.

Unfortunately it didn't give as much detail as I would have liked to understand the flaws that were being raised (or maybe they did if I had followed the links?)

(Perhaps of interest to @alex3619 ?)

Wayne, catly, Esther12 and 3 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

As I understand it the main problem about EBM is the constipated mindset it encourages. Having a meeting to discuss a method for making it less constipated threatens perhaps to be even more constipated. A good dose of curry might help.

sarah darwins, alex3619, ahmo and 3 others like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    EBM is a management tool. Its not science. It can use science, but in itself its not science. It can achieve really good things. It can also stuff up.

Like statistical significance, which can rubber stamp bias (bias can be systemic, and significant results can be found across a whole methodology), EBM can rubber stamp systematic bias. This includes meta-analyses. GIGO, or in the context I used it recently, BIBO, babble in, babble out.

I keep reading complaints about how the IOM report left out a lot of evidence, with an implication of bias. Its the methodology that is biased. EBM style reviews are good for rapidly evaluating mature bodies of scientific literature. It can be a disaster at the cutting edge of science.

I am too busy to read the article for a few hours, maybe even for today. I will give it a go later.

Montezumas revenge as a cure for EBM? It definitely needs a good purging.

catly and Valentijn like this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Some quotable quotes. I am largely in agreement with this article.

See more popular forum discussions.