1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Knitting Equals Pleasure, Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith loves knitting. Again. She thought her days of knitting and purling were long over but ... she's back ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

rifaximin for IBS

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by mike1127, Jan 2, 2014.

1. mike1127

mike1127

Anyone have experience with taking rifaximin on the theory that their IBS is caused by SIBO (small intestine bacteria overgrowth)?

Has anyone tried an elemental diet for SIBO instead? That's an all-liquid diet with all nutrients in pre-digested form that is supposed to starve the overgrown bacteria.

Mike

2. acer2000

acer2000 Senior Member

I took Rifaximin. It didn't work for me. However, at the time I was unaware of the FODMAP diet. This did help me. I think you need to do both for the antibiotic effect to "stick" - otherwise you are just feeding the bacteria at the same time you are killing them. I too would be interested to hear if anyone did the elemental diet and what their experience is/was.

3. mike1127

mike1127

Thanks, acer2000. I looked up the FODMAP diet and it's worth considering.

See more popular forum discussions.