• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

rifaximin for IBS

Anyone have experience with taking rifaximin on the theory that their IBS is caused by SIBO (small intestine bacteria overgrowth)?

Has anyone tried an elemental diet for SIBO instead? That's an all-liquid diet with all nutrients in pre-digested form that is supposed to starve the overgrown bacteria.

Mike

acer2000

I took Rifaximin. It didn't work for me. However, at the time I was unaware of the FODMAP diet. This did help me. I think you need to do both for the antibiotic effect to "stick" - otherwise you are just feeding the bacteria at the same time you are killing them. I too would be interested to hear if anyone did the elemental diet and what their experience is/was.