• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

RIfaximin - feeling worse?

Daffodil

hi all. has anyone taken Rifaximin and felt MUCH worse?

I have been on it around 2 weeks and feel SOOOOOOO much worse, its incredible. long naps, EXTREME inflammation in the CNS/head.....horrible horrible brain fog, lymph node aching etc.

I took it once before yrs ago and do not remember feeling this way.

thanks
Daffodil

Hm, I'm sorry to hear you're feeling that way. Myself, I've been taking Rifaximin for about 1 week due to a very positive SIBO test (despite having minimal gastrointestinal issues). I haven't had any side effects and I'm undecided if it's contributing at all to the mini upswing I seem to be having.

My doctor didn't mention anything about side effects with the drug. When I asked if it would produce a "herxing" effect, he said likely not because it's not a systemic antibiotic.