The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Richard Horton - Data sharing—why editors may have got it wrong

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by TiredSam, Sep 16, 2016.

1. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
  2. TiredSam

Germany
    Horton comes down firmly against "editor-driven mandated data sharing".

The Wellcome Trust gets another mention, those nice people who house the SMC.

Lucky them to get a letter published. Couldn't help laughing at the word "outpace", don't know why. Probably the idea that anyone could out-do the PACE trial.

Well we've certainly seen a few examples of what he means by that.

3. TiredSam

Germany
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  4. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    Nice to see Horton putting in the extra effort to go beyond parody. He's like performance art or something.

5. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

I don't know how much validity there is to the under/over privileged nations argument. it certainly seems plausible.
    However it doesn't get the privileged nations off the hook in terms of sharing their data IMO.

Dolphin, Daisymay and trishrhymes like this.
  6. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

I am at a loss to understand whats going on here. When did data withholding become part of the scientific method? What's a conclusion without data?

How can peer review only mean, "the stuff that we say we found that got us passed for publication by two or three "independent reviewers"?

Why would any scientist bother to try to get access to funds to attempt to replicate your findings if they don't have access to check your data to see if its even a credible or correct conclusion?

7. Sean

Sean Senior Member

No opportunity for independent and comprehensive scrutiny of methodology and data = no science.

The only legitimate conditions on that are that the data is adequately anonymised (where appropriate), and that the researchers generating the data get a reasonable time period for a first bite at the publication cherry (and I agree that 6 months is too short, a year seems more reasonable to me.)

If these conditions are met, then the data gets released. (Methodology should be released before the data collection even starts.)

8. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Where do you get this from? Is this what the article says, sorry, have not read it. Doesn't sound right, think people will share there data, although it could be different when the ability to Cash in is involved, such as drug development. Which I can understand.

Have heard of the Data sharing being an issue with Global Warming. Seems like some scientists did not want to provide there data, which sounds very shady to me!

GG

9. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Data sharing is all talk if it turns out it's not enforceable by journal editors as appears to be the case in the PLoS PACE paper data dispute.

actup, Dolphin, BurnA and 10 others like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

Horton is making the Lancet look ridiculous - pandering to the cliques who put money and kudos ahead of science.

11. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

He seems keen on collaboration. So it will be shaven heads all round at the Lancet.

Glycon likes this.
  12. Glycon

Glycon World's Most Dangerous Hand Puppet

ON, Canada
    If I had to guess, I'd be inclined to agree.

Mostly because the whole affair is just so ridiculous and disgraceful that it is impossible to hang it on the "hijackers of the agenda" ;)

See more popular forum discussions.